Lost Alexa

• 18 November 2017
  • 19 replies

We recently purchased a Sonos One and installed Alexa. It worked for about a week and now Alexa is gone. No chime. Nothing. Where did you go Alexa?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

19 replies

How can I get it back?
Badge +2
Are you sure it's on? Button on top.
yep one solid white. sonos works fine otherwise.
tap microphone on top to turn ON
same boat myself, its good when it works, but rotten when it dosent. i was gonna buy more for presents, but im staying away from it now as its not very well worked together
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
yep one solid white. sonos works fine otherwise.

Unless you've turned off the light under settings, you should have two lights on the top of the Sonos One. A rectangular light to show status and a round light to show that the mic is active. If you only have a single rectangular light then the mic has been turned off. Just touch the mic symbol on top of the speaker to toggle it back on.
I am having the same problem. The only way i have found to fix it is to disable the voice services skill for that device in the sonos app and then reenable it and relink it to my amazon account. I have had to do this repeatedly. Very frustrating
I am having the same problem with the new play bar. Alexa just took a vacation.There is only one green light on the top. I don’t want to have to reset the whole system, and balance speakers again. Any ideas?
I am having the same problem with the new play bar. Alexa just took a vacation.There is only one green light on the top. I don’t want to have to reset the whole system, and balance speakers again. Any ideas?

Press the microphone button to turn on the mic.
Badge
I am having the same problem with my Play One in my home office. Tap the mic button and no response. Music playing ok.
I have the Beam in my lounge which works fine.
Cannot locate the Browse buttons on my windows 10 desktop controller.
Did software update and it is all "Up to Date"
Any Ideas?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I am having the same problem with my Play One in my home office. Tap the mic button and no response. Music playing ok.
I have the Beam in my lounge which works fine.
Cannot locate the Browse buttons on my windows 10 desktop controller.
Did software update and it is all "Up to Date"
Any Ideas?

Hi

Please see the tasks below which will resolve most Alexa issues. Don't be put off by the length of the steps, they are rarely all required. This type of issue is normally down to one of three things:

1/ Duplicate device names - Alexa prefers that names for Devices, Groups and Scenes are unique,
1.1/ Please open up the Alexa App>Smart Home and make a note of any duplicate device names;
1.2/ You can then change them in the source app. e.g. Use the Sonos App to change the name of Sonos players. (I personally use the naming standard Room Name + Device type. e.g. Kitchen Sonos, Kitchen Echo Dot, Lounge Sonos, etc)
1.3/ Once you have changed any duplicate names then please open the Alexa App on a PC (https://alexa.amazon.co.uk or https://alexa.amazon.com)>Smart Home>Devices and select 'Forget All' followed by 'Discover'. NOTE: This will remove ALL Actions from ALL Alexa Routines! (Only the PC version has this functionality.)

2/ Some form of Account Linking or Authorisation has not completed successfully. There are a number of causes for this and it's best to try these steps 1 at a time and test before moving on to the next step if the problem persists:
2.1/ Open the Alexa App>Skills>Your Skills>Sonos and 'Disable' followed by 'Enable';
2.2/ Ensure that you don't have multiple Amazon accounts logged into different Apps on your device, as this can confuse the Amazon Authorisation. If yes, then please log out of the other accounts and then complete step 2.1 again;
2.3/ If the problem still persists, please logout of all Amazon accounts then select the Alexa App>Skills>Your Skills>Sonos and 'Disable. Now power down all Sonos devices for 10 secs, allowing for any wired devices to boot before booting the remaining Sonos players. Now log back into the Alexa App>Skills>Sonos and 'Enable'

3/ If the problem persists then an entire reset of the Authorisation & Account Linking process is required:
3.1/ In the Alexa app, select Skills>Your Skills>Sonos and then 'Disable';
3.2 In the Alexa app (PC version), select 'Smart Home>Devices'. Now select 'Forget All' at the bottom of the screen;
3.3/ In the Sonos app (Android or iOS), select Settings>Room Settings and for each of the Sonos One's sign into 'Voice Services' and select 'Remove Amazon Alexa from this Room';
3.4/ If you have any wired Sonos devices, please power down for 10 secs and then switch on and wait for it to boot;
3.5/ Now power down all other Sonos Players for 10 secs then switch them back on and wait for them to boot;
3.6/ In the Sonos app, Select Manage>Add a player or sub' and add the Sonos One's again. This will complete the set-up process again;
3.7/ In the Alexa app, select Skills>Your Skills and ensure the Sonos skill is 'Enabled', if not please 'Enable';
3.8/ In the Alexa app , select Smart Home>Devices>Discover. Ensure that your Sonos One's are displayed correctly and not shown as 'Off Line'.
3.9/ Also check one last time that there are no devices with the same name. Remember, if there is a need to rename any then you'll need to select 'Discover' again.

Let us know how you get on.
Ive tried all the above and Alexa is still having issues
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Ive tried all the above and Alexa is still having issues
This may be down to duplicate IP Addresses then. Can you please power down the following devices for 5 secs, allowing each to complete its boot cycle before proceeding to the next device:

- Router
- Any Network wired switch
- Any wired Sonos devices
- All other Sonos devices
- All other attached network devices

If this fixes the problem, I suggest you open the Settings page on your Router and reserve IP addresses for your Sonos devices - I personally use the range 192.168.0.240 and above for my Sonos devices.
I am having the same problem. I have just finished doing all the above, all speakers and devices are on separate Ip. I get the Alexa chime but no answer or doesn’t play tunein radio station.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I am having the same problem. I have just finished doing all the above, all speakers and devices are on separate Ip. I get the Alexa chime but no answer or doesn’t play tunein radio station.

In that case, I suggest you submit a diagnostic and post the number in this thread or contact support via twitter or Facebook.
Diagnostic confirmation number 1843051008.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Diagnostic confirmation number 1843051008.

Thanks for sending in the report. I think it would be best to continue troubleshooting this live with our phone team. Please give us a call, our number and hours are found here.
I have the same problem, it has happened twice now - works for about a week and then Alexa disappears again.

How do I contact Sonos phone support?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have the same problem, it has happened twice now - works for about a week and then Alexa disappears again.

How do I contact Sonos phone support?

You can reach our support team through Twitter (@sonossupport), our Facebook page, or by phone. You can find our contact information here: Contact Page.