Location setting removed after last Alexa update

• 14 December 2017
  • 16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I assume that this is as a result of the 8.2.2 update as I had set my device location within the Alexa App but now it is missing and I'm not able to set it up again.

Things I've tried:

- Forget the device within the PC Alexa app, followed by Discover;
- Delete the device within the Android app, followed by Discover.
- Power down the Sonos One and retry steps 1 & 2

The end result is the same - When I enter the Alexa App>Settings>My Sonos One>Device Location>Edit followed by Save and then select the Suggested Address, Ok - the details are not saved.

Interestingly, if I ask the Sonos One 'Alexa, what's todays weather' it knows it's location.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, UKMedia. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I would like to share this with a wider audience, internally. The best thing to do would be to grab a diagnostic so we can identify where the disconnect lies. Can you post the confirmation number here so we can have a look? Thanks in advance.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Edward

Diag number: 8217327

I believe there was also an Alexa firmware update yesterday which is more probably the cause. Also it appears to have happened to all my Echo Dots as well.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
That sounds most likely, I'd suggest reaching out to Amazon support if you haven't yet. We'll ping them on it too.

Also, if you check on the website on a computer alexa.amazon.co.uk are you able to set the location there?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
That sounds most likely, I'd suggest reaching out to Amazon support if you haven't yet. We'll ping them on it too.

Also, if you check on the website on a computer alexa.amazon.co.uk are you able to set the location there?

Hi Ryan

The issue is the same on both the PC and Android apps - I've also removed the Android app and reinstalled it but no difference. Just got off the phone to Amazon Tech Support and they are raising this for Technical Investigation and are going to call me back on Sunday morning to update me on progress. It appears to be storing the information as I still get local information on traffic and weather, it's just not displaying correctly in the app.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Great to hear! I tested it out too and had the same experience you just described, on mobile and my computer. I've let the team on our side that works with Amazon know.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
This appears to be a bigger issue as the links under Music, Video & Books appear to be broken as well. If I select my Sonos One in the Alexa App>Music, Video & Books and then select Spotify I now get the message App Support Unavailable on both the PC and Android apps. This link does work for my Echo Dot's.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for the update. I'll share it with my team.
Just to say I have the exact same issue with my echo devices here in the U.K. including Dot's, Fire-stick etc. I can also confirm that there was an echo device firmware upgrade reccently (yesterday?) to version 597464620 and I suspect that is when this issue may have occurred with the Alexa device location settings.

I have noticed one further minor thing ... if I now ask Alexa for the local weather, it now provides the forecast for my nearest City here in the UK, whereas it used to provide the weather details for the town/suburb in which I live.

I can also confirm the same 'issue' exists at the web portal version of the Alexa settings located here for U.K. users:
https://alexa.amazon.co.uk/spa/index.html
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
The location issue appears to be fixed now but the Spotify account for the Sonos One issue remains.

Edit: I've just finished talking to Alexa Tech Support on chat and they have confirmed they are working on a fix.
Yes, mine is now working too ...and after yesterday’s Amazon iOS App update I can now remove devices and scenes via the iOS App, which was missing from the last couple of updates.

Things are now working much better from an Alexa point of view.
Hi,

I’m based in the USA and I’m experiencing the same problem. I just installed my Sonos yesterday, and all apps are up to date. I’ve updated my location on my Sonos profile, but I cannot update my Alexa address for each of my two Sonos speakers. The settings won’t save.

What can I do?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Try setting the location using the website instead of the app: http://alexa.amazon.com

If that doesn't do it, do you have another device you can try the app on?
Hi Ryan,

I tried online and received the same error message. I've tried on both of my Sonos devices. It won't let me save the location for Alexa. I have checked and the location info on the Sonos site is saved appropriately, so it's simply with Alexa that I have the problem.

Thanks for your help!
Hi there, just checking back on this 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi there, Noah. Thanks for reporting back on this. That is a little odd, at this stage it may be best to get in touch with us via telephone, perhaps we can delve into this with you via a remote session. Many thanks, we look forward to hearing from you.
Is there a solution for this? I'm having the same problem.