Answered

Local library via voice control

• 18 November 2017
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Hi. Playing radio from tunein via voice control is great. Also skipping tracks and changing volume is great.
I’m not an online service streaming customer and never will be. I like my music local and I like to own it. When will I be able to tell Alexa to play from. My local library?? Perhaps it’s not someth8ng amazon want to let us do, but my sonos system expansion has been paused for a couple of years now due this missing feature. If a competitor launches the ability then I’ll have to swap, although ideally I’d like to remain a loyal sonos fan. It’s a definite sticking point for me though.
icon

Best answer by UKMedia 18 November 2017, 13:52

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
At present neither Alexa nor Google Assistant support the playing of music from any source other than streaming. Neither support Local music libraries by voice control, this isn't a Sonos limitation.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
I do consider it a Sonos limitation, as they haven't developed this with their partners. Until they do I'm buying nothing more from Sonos. The first company that sort this will get my new custom. It's a Shame as I've been a Sonos fan for over 10yrs.
I do consider it a Sonos limitation, as they haven't developed this with their partners. Until they do I'm buying nothing more from Sonos. The first company that sort this will get my new custom.
Having used a Dot in line in mode with Sonos, it is clear to me that just the ability to tweak volume levels on music from the local library isn't half as useful as also being able to initiate music play - which cannot be done at this time from the library in the slick way it can be done with streaming services. But I doubt that this will come in a hurry, and I also doubt that anyone else will beat Sonos to it.
You might have a long wait, or you may end up using more of streaming services as I have and have thus lost my attachment to the local library - not that I am shutting it down, it is an invaluable back up.
I was interested in Sonos One . Now that I know it will not support my local library I believe it is over hyped. To me it is doing half the job. I will not be adding it to my collection.
Userlevel 2
It's always about the money. I know that I can play song 'X' by artist 'X' to any room (SONOS) because I have it in my local library using non voice commands. So I ask Alexa to play the same song 'X' by artist 'X' to a certain (SONOS) room and I get 'that artist and song isn't available with prime, but you can sign up for additional $$ for unlimited and then you can do it." Yeah thanks..........

I want my local library of music to be my 'default' music library on Alexa NOT Amazon Music...............It's never going to happen. This is all about making Bezos richer, not inovation.
You can nearly do this. Using the Alexa Mymedia skill (£5 per year) let’s you stream your content to an Alexa speaker. Works fine with Dot etc but even though my Play One accepts the command it doesn’t actually play anything. Any chance your tech guys coul look at this Sonos?