Answered

Local library initiating

• 10 February 2019
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Hi
Is there any news on being able to tell Alexa to play a specific track from your local library? I've paused purchases for nearly two years now due to the lack of this feature. A work around via Plex does work, but not really ideal!
Cheers
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 10 February 2019, 06:58

There's been no news, and all indications suggest that the number of people playing from local libraries is insignificant enough for Sonos to consider not actually implementing it. Unfortunate for those of us who still do use local libraries, but then again the challenges in coding such a feature would seem to be rather significant.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

There's been no news, and all indications suggest that the number of people playing from local libraries is insignificant enough for Sonos to consider not actually implementing it. Unfortunate for those of us who still do use local libraries, but then again the challenges in coding such a feature would seem to be rather significant.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi
Is there any news on being able to tell Alexa to play a specific track from your local library? I've paused purchases for nearly two years now due to the lack of this feature. A work around via Plex does work, but not really ideal!
Cheers

There is also a workaround using IFTTT, via the Sonos Service>Applet 'Play a favorite with Amazon Alexa', where that Sonos favorite is in your local library. It's very easy to set-up and works reasonably well.

And as Bruce says above, this chart shows the growth of streaming globally in terms of revenue which reduces the business case for Sonos year on year:

...and yes I'm also in this group moving away from my music library.:P