Answered

Joining the Sonos Echo/Alexa beta

How can I join this beta please?
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 4 October 2017, 18:28

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

42 replies

Voice is great for playing a quick random song. It's not for listening to multiple songs where the controller is far superior.

I have a Dot into my Connect. I use it often to play songs from an artist, play an entire album, or a radio station from TuneIn. The controller is required to search for things I can't remember by name. Voice will complement the controller software, but will never replace it.
I don't know, they run a pretty solid (although single core) ARM chip at >800mhz. The Sonos by comparison seem to be able to do it with much less processing power.

Bigger question, would Amazon really want to build this into the echo? Seems like a weird use case. I love my echo, but the speaker is nothing to write home about.

Looks like Amazon plans to improve the sound quality of Echo speakers before the end of the year...

https://www.engadget.com/2017/07/12/amazon-echo-homepod/
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
I would be glad to test german commands🆒

I think it is highly unlikely that anyone except Amazon-US accounts will be able to use the Alexa integration. Amazon's support for Alexa is half-assed in the UK and Germany with so many features missing (eg the ability to understand artist names or album names), only the USA is properly supported. This could change in time for Sonos, but Amazon have shown a total lack of urgency in updating the non-US Skills services so far.
I think it is highly unlikely that anyone except Amazon-US accounts will be able to use the Alexa integration.

No. Nice try to tell a scary story, though. 😉
Badge
I think it is highly unlikely that anyone except Amazon-US accounts will be able to use the Alexa integration.

No. Nice try to tell a scary story, though. ;)

I hope you are right, but I also worry about this, So many skills do not make it outside the US, Mainly because the underlying developer API's are currently only available in the US, for example

The entertainment API for controlling connected speakers etc https://developer.amazon.com/blogs/alexa/post/78f44d51-5bdf-4a4c-8eaa-57d1282c8212/introducing-entertainment-capabilities-in-alexa-smart-home-new-device-controls-for-tvs-av-receivers-and-ir-hubs

And all the Slot types related to music functionality, artists tracks etc https://developer.amazon.com/public/solutions/alexa/alexa-skills-kit/docs/built-in-intent-ref/slot-type-reference

However Sonos have usually done a great job supporting users internationally so I remain hopeful that the level of partnership with Amazon means that they wont be encumbered by these limitations by the time the integration is available
Ok yes I see where yes it wouldn't pause music without you saying so.

It could, but I seriously doubt it. That would require one of two things.

The first option that when sending a command to a sonos zone through Alexa, it streams through the Alexa, not through Sonos. In that way, Alexa would know music is playing, the same way it's knows it's own speakers are playing, and therefore, be able to mute it. The downside to that is that you are limited in sources, and unable to use the Sonos controller in that 'mode'. It's really not any different then if you were using a line in music source.

The second option is that each of your echo's need to know what Sonos zone they are in, and ping Sonos for it's state every time it receives a wake word. Then it would know to send a mute command. I suppose it could just send the mute command regardless of state, but not as elegant. The lack of location awareness is a bigger issue I think, and something Amazon would need to address entirely on their own. I really think they should do that though, as it would be helpful for all the smart features Alexa can command. It get's tiring having to tell Alexa to turn off the kitchen light, when I just want to tell it to turn off the light and assume I mean kitchen since that is where I am.

The good news is though that both Sonos and Amazon are going to provide firmware upgrades to add features as they determine they are needed. No doubt about that.

As far as mulitroom audio with Echos on their own, I am somewhat doubtful that that is their interest. They seem to be more focused on getting echo's in your home at a low cost for all demographics, rather then just the high end audio demographic. There has also been a lot of talk regarding Amazon getting too big and in danger of anti-trust laws. It may be better for them to focus on partnering with Sonos (and others) to provide more market coverage than to squeeze out the competition.
Will the Alexa support be available to the new announced voice-enabled SONOS devices which are to come to market next or also to existing SONOS boxes?
Will the Alexa support be available to the new announced voice-enabled SONOS devices which are to come to market next or also to existing SONOS boxes?

Sonos has explicitly stated, both in the original press release and in multiple threads here, that the Alexa voice control implementation will work with all Sonos devices currently and previously sold.

Here is the most recent post from Sonos rep Ryan S from 4 days ago:

https://en.community.sonos.com/wireless-speakers-228992/sonos-alexa-integration-6787005/index9.html#post16141450

Hi everyone, there's a lot of interesting discussion going on here and I love the energy you all have around voice control and Alexa. My message from way earlier in this thread is still very much still the case, so I'll quote it here:

Thanks for jumping in everyone. Great answers already. As suggested, I can't really provide any extra details today, but I assure you, we're as excited about this as you are. It is coming. We'll let the world know as soon as there's more to say, and we'll announce here on the community (and elsewhere) if there are any opportunities to help us beta test.

On top of that, I just want to take a moment to make sure everything is clear about a few things. First off, to use voice control with Sonos, you will need to have a device with Alexa built in. We're largely talking about Amazon Echos and Dots here, but you never know what other fun gadgets may work as well, at launch or after it.

Second, once the software is live, it will work with every updated Sonos component. As long as you already have an Alexa-enabled device, you aren't going to need to buy any new hardware to use Alexa with Sonos. Just make sure your players are updated to the latest version of the Sonos software (when Alexa control comes out for Sonos), you will be able to take advantage of the voice commands sent by your Alexa-enabled devices. We're not going to go into the magic right now, but there have been some pretty good ideas here in the thread already.

That's all for now. More to come later, so stay tuned!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi everyone, Alexa integration is now live with our beta skill for Amazon Alexa. Check out the announcement here. Also, there's some info on the Sonos One here.

The Alexa skill is a public beta, but you don't need to do anything special to get it, just install it from the Alexa app. Some full steps here for setting it up.
Hi just updated my alexa skills and sonos firmware. I realize this is still in beta but am wondering if there are plans for Apple Music to be an available music source when voice controlling sonos through alexa. That’s where I listen to most of not all of my music. Thanks in advance for a response
Well, I don't work for Sonos, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I think that there'd be a lot of work required on Apple's part to make such an integration work, and I'd be willing to bet they'd rather spend their resources on their HomePod system.

Stranger things have happened, though.
Whether or not such functionality is coming, right now you can initiate a queue or radio station from any source and do the basic controls that apply; pause, stop, play, skip, volume controls, "what's playing on xxxx", etc.
Seeing as this a beta, is there somewhere I can provide Sonos with some feedback about the Alexa integration?