Question

iTunes Library and Alexa

• 25 October 2017
  • 4 replies

Why is it not possible to play music from my iTunes library using the Alexa voice command? Limiting this functionality to only a few streaming services is a big disappointment, especially as I have quite a large iTunes music library.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
There are technical reasons why this hasn't happened and Sonos need to overcome those before this will happen. It is certainly NOT a case of Sonos "limiting" the functionality as clearly they would prefer this was possible from the outset.

You can, by the way, re-start a queue that comprises Your (iTunes) music and pause, skip those songs.
So, it's a case of sit tight and wait then. In the meantime, I can upload 250 tracks into the Amazon My Music service...but which 250???
I don't understand what you are telling me with your final comment on using the queue function in Sonos. Could you give me more information please?

Much appreciated.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I don't understand what you are telling me with your final comment on using the queue function in Sonos. Could you give me more information please?

Once you have started playback from iTunes using a Sonos controller, you can then puase, skip, restart, etc., using Alexa voice control. This also applies to other services (like Spotify) that aren't fully supported yet.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
So, it's a case of sit tight and wait then. In the meantime, I can upload 250 tracks into the Amazon My Music service...but which 250???

I don't wish to muddy the water, but I feel obliged to post my opinion. I do not expect that you'll be able to use 'Alexa' to fully control Apple Music any time in the near future (like 1-2 years). Apple doesn't play nice with others. The integration with AirPlay is where you may see voice control support come in though.

As for the 250 tracks? The ones you're most interested in hearing now. Alternatively, the annual fee to bump that limit to 250,000 is quite reasonable. It might be a good path for you.