Issues with Alexa and Flash Briefing

• 27 December 2017
  • 34 replies

I set up two Ones in the bedroom and said "Alexa play flash briefing" and Alexa responds with "here is your flash briefing" and then nothing happens (silence). This has happened about 50% of the time. Meaning it plays sometimes. I just got these and am debating between using two play1's and an Echo Dot. I want to use whatever will have the least amount of problems. The cons of using the Dot aren't a big deal to me (flash briefing on the dot).

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

34 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, vgottlieb. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community. Have you updated to the most recent software version? Additionally, I'm curious to see if you have any similarly named smart home devices in the Alexa app. Some users have experienced similar problems with other skills when Sonos devices share the same name as other Alexa enabled devices.
Userlevel 2
Badge
You may also find a Sonos device offline in the alexa.amazon.com devices list. That happened to me where it didn't know where to play the briefing to.
Badge
Hi there, vgottlieb. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community. Have you updated to the most recent software version? Additionally, I'm curious to see if you have any similarly named smart home devices in the Alexa app. Some users have experienced similar problems with other skills when Sonos devices share the same name as other Alexa enabled devices.

Hi, I have a similar problem. I do have the latest software version. As to named devices, I renamed all my Sonos devices to contain the word Sonos, so there are no duplicates. But, I think Alexa and Sonos each have a device name. For example, I have a Sonos One in the bathroom, and the Alexa settings screen lists: "Bathroom Sonos" (I'm pretty sure this is the name I gave it when I set it up with Sonos) and also "Barry's second Sonos One in Bath" (this sounds like an Amazon name).
Userlevel 2
Badge
Login to Alexa.amazon.com and look under your devices in settings. You may find dups
Im having trouble with my Flash Briefing. I recently moved my speaker from my home to my office and whenever I ask Alexa to play my flash briefing it replies with "Here's your flash briefing" and then silence. I have the latest software and I don't see any duplicate devices. Any ideas?
Im having trouble with my Flash Briefing. I recently moved my speaker from my home to my office and whenever I ask Alexa to play my flash briefing it replies with "Here's your flash briefing" and then silence. I have the latest software and I don't see any duplicate devices. Any ideas?
I still have this issue. Any solutions?
I have same issue. Can reliably get it to work every second time... ie every morning the first "whats my flash briefing" responds "here is your flash briefing" then nothing. The second query/response works. This pattern happens every morning. Any ideas on fixes. I have latest sw all around (sonos, alexa, etc) and I have no duplicate devices.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi folks,

If you're having a similar issue, please reproduce the issue then send in a diagnostic report. If you reply with the confirmation number we can take a look for you.
I am having the exact same problem and I just submitted a diagnostic report. The confirmation number is 99272535. Thanks.
Exact same issue here! Can reliably get it to work every second time. Have 2 Sonos Ones. The Confirmation Number is 537710075
Badge
I have the same issues with Flash Briefing too, and I have reset the Sonos One a number of times, followed all the setup rules with no dupes.

I also have another issue where if there are two items in the flash briefing list, often it will just play item 1 and then not play item 2 (even if you change the order around or choose different news sources in the list).

This problem seems to be linked to another problem I have where I tell Alexa to play an Album on Amazon music, it will often play the first song of the album and then go silent and stop when it gets to Track 2. Sometimes turning the Sonos One on and off seems to fix the issue for a few hours and then the problem returns. Pretty annoying and not very seamless Sonos....help!!
Same issue here!! I only have 1 Sonos One speaker. I have had to repeat “play my flash briefing” twice in order for it to play. This usually occurs on the morning between 6-7am. Been happening for weeks. Funny, I just tried to duplicate it so that I could post the diagnostic report conf# and it worked first time!! It’s currenty 10pm..........I’ll try tomorrow morning.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I am having the exact same problem and I just submitted a diagnostic report. The confirmation number is 99272535. Thanks.

Hi lloydag,

It looks like there are a couple of things going on with your system which might explain the error. Your Sonos speakers are losing connection from time to time with your wireless network. There are a few wireless networks in range running on the same wireless channel as your own, causing interference. Please try changing your router's wireless channel from 1 to 6 and see if that helps. You can also try rebooting each of your speakers, and discovering devices through the Alexa app again.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Exact same issue here! Can reliably get it to work every second time. Have 2 Sonos Ones. The Confirmation Number is 537710075

Hi GK1,

Your Sonos speakers are having a hard time staying connected to your wireless network due to interference from nearby signals. Please try changing your router's wireless channel from 13 to 1 and then test things out again. Rebooting speakers and rediscovering devices in the Alexa app may also help.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have the same issues with Flash Briefing too, and I have reset the Sonos One a number of times, followed all the setup rules with no dupes.

I also have another issue where if there are two items in the flash briefing list, often it will just play item 1 and then not play item 2 (even if you change the order around or choose different news sources in the list).

This problem seems to be linked to another problem I have where I tell Alexa to play an Album on Amazon music, it will often play the first song of the album and then go silent and stop when it gets to Track 2. Sometimes turning the Sonos One on and off seems to fix the issue for a few hours and then the problem returns. Pretty annoying and not very seamless Sonos....help!!

Hi there,

Please submit a diagnostic report and reply with the confirmation number after this happens. I'll take a look for you.
I am also experiencing the same issue as above. I only have a single Sonos One, but need to ask twice for flash briefings. Confirmation number is 1200654570. Thanks.
Diagnostic #: 284138343. I just had to repeat the command.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I am also experiencing the same issue as above. I only have a single Sonos One, but need to ask twice for flash briefings. Confirmation number is 1200654570. Thanks.

Hi MDONE,

Thanks for sending in the report. I see there are many DNS lookup errors in your report. This may explain why the speaker isn't connecting properly the first try. Please try rebooting your router and your Sonos One by removing them from power for ten seconds or so. This should make sure they are using the most up to date network information, including the DNS setting. Once back online, test things out and let me know how it goes.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Diagnostic #: 284138343. I just had to repeat the command.

Hi gomo,

It looks like your Sonos speaker is losing connection to your wireless network from time to time. This may be why the command isn't working. Please try changing your router's wireless channel from 6 to 11 or 1. This should reduce interference from nearby signals and should also help your speaker stay connected.
I also frequently have this issue. Diagnostic report is 2094166083. About half my devices are wired.
Just received two new Sonos Ones and I’m also having this issue. 467382074
My new Sonos One doesn't play my Flash Briefing or radio stations that I request. It announces that it is, but then silence. I've tried de-registering the device, but it doesn't even let me do that.
Diagnostic report: 1085885679
I just got a Sonos One today and I'm having the same issue with flash briefing. It announces it but then there is silence. My flash briefing works with my other Alexa devices.
Diagnostic Report: 279686993
I just got a Sonos One today and I'm having the same issue with flash briefing. It announces it but then there is silence. My flash briefing works with my other Alexa devices.
Diagnostic Report: 279686993

I fixed my own problem, I'll see if I can explain it to you and let you know where i got it wrong. My mistake was reading these posts and getting confused by the idea of "eliminating duplicates." The way that Alexa recognizes devices, and the way that Alexa speaks through the Sonos One adds to the confusion. In my own simplistic way of understanding it, Alexa can hear us speaking to/through the Sonos, but doesn't know where to broadcast a response (Flash Briefing, Music, etc.) until the device is discovered by the Alexa App.

1) Go to the Alexa App on your iphone - click on MENU -> ALEXA DEVICES
2) You should see the Sonos One by the name you gave it in the Sonos App and in smaller font under the name it should say "online"
3) In the Alexa App, click on MENU -> SMART HOME and then click on the large "+ Add Device" icon. Alexa will discover and "re-name" the Sonos device that already appears in the "ALEXA DEVICES" from #1 above.

This worked for me, hopefully it does for you too.