Answered

Is there any way to use voice commands to play local iTunes (or NAS) music library?

• 21 March 2021
  • 3 replies

(Several years ago I know this was not possible, but it seems like some people have successfully done this, so I’m hoping there’s a solution!)

I have a Sonos One and a Beam, plus an Alexa Echo Show 8. I’ve installed the Sonos skill to my Alexa account so now I can say, “Alexa, play the Beatles in kitchen”, or whatever and that works. However, it only works for streaming services, not my local iTunes library.

Next, I installed the My Media for Alexa server on my Mac and installed that skill in the Echo. I can now say, “Alexa, ask My Media to play [song from local library]” and that will work. However it will only play it on the Echo. (Saying, “Alexa, ask My Media to play [song from local library] in kitchen” doesn’t work - it just ignores the “in kitchen” part.)

So, is there a solution to get me to the finish line where I can tell Alexa to play [artist/title/whatever] from my local library on my Sonos devices?

icon

Best answer by Corry P 25 March 2021, 10:18

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @hux2000 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Although it’s unsupported by Sonos, I personally had success with using Alexa to play Plex music to Sonos (without the use of an Echo), though of course you must have the Plex Media Server setup, running and added to both Alexa as a Skill and to Sonos as a Music Service for this to work.

You can get Plex at plex.tv. Many NAS drives support it, as does Windows, Mac and Linux (including Raspberry Pi). It’s great for organising video media too.

One point to add to the above: if there’s a solution that doesn’t involve the Echo at all, that would be perfectly fine. Both the One and the Beam apparently have Alexa built in, but I’ve never used it on those products.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

(Several years ago I know this was not possible, but it seems like some people have successfully done this, so I’m hoping there’s a solution!)

I have a Sonos One and a Beam, plus an Alexa Echo Show 8. I’ve installed the Sonos skill to my Alexa account so now I can say, “Alexa, play the Beatles in kitchen”, or whatever and that works. However, it only works for streaming services, not my local iTunes library.

Next, I installed the My Media for Alexa server on my Mac and installed that skill in the Echo. I can now say, “Alexa, ask My Media to play [song from local library]” and that will work. However it will only play it on the Echo. (Saying, “Alexa, ask My Media to play [song from local library] in kitchen” doesn’t work - it just ignores the “in kitchen” part.)

So, is there a solution to get me to the finish line where I can tell Alexa to play [artist/title/whatever] from my local library on my Sonos devices?

Hi

I haven’t tried this personally as I don’t use iTunes but the steps I’ve listed within this post for playing BBC Radio should also work.

Step by Step Guide to Play BBC Radio Station via Voice Control | Sonos Community