Answered

Is the interface only one way?

• 4 October 2017
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
From all the features that we're hearing about, it seems that the Sonos/Alexa integration is only one way. Alexa can talk to Sonos (through the Sonos cloud), but the Sonos cloud cannot talk to Alexa (through Alexa's cloud). In other words, Sonos can't tell Alexa what song it's currently playing, or what volume it's at, or what grouping are active. Is this correct?

If it is correct, is this something that could possibly change in the future, or is it a limitation of Amazon's speaker API?

I can see that becoming a rather limiting feature as time goes on if the communication is only one way.
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 4 October 2017, 21:44

It's partially correct. Alexa knows what song is playing on Sonos, but doesn't know about the groups. It's one of those things where the skill will improve over time.

Some things are going to be more possible than others, but we're on it with the Amazon Alexa team.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
It's partially correct. Alexa knows what song is playing on Sonos, but doesn't know about the groups. It's one of those things where the skill will improve over time.

Some things are going to be more possible than others, but we're on it with the Amazon Alexa team.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Thanks again Ryan.

To clarify does Alexa know what song is playing all the time, or only when Alexa told it top play that song or station?

Kinda related, but the 'ducking' feature, does that work always, or only for music that Alexa told Sonos to play?

I suppose I need to go test these things out myself, but I'm not home and have no patience.