Answered

is sonos listening? to me?

• 16 February 2020
  • 8 replies

I haven’t setup any assistants.  Is Sonos listening and sending my bedroom talk to a transcription service?

icon

Best answer by UKMedia 17 February 2020, 16:32

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Of course not.  To the best of my knowledge there are no plans to blackmail you either.

In fact, you will often see it claimed on this forum that Sonos doesn’t listen to its customers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

The SL doesn’t have voice input - according to the spec’s - so it would be really sneaky of them to be listening to (and/or ignoring) you.

My units have mics but so long as Sonos isn’t adding extra surveillance layers overs amazon I’m good. They are all blackmailing us in ways we can’t truly control.  I just want to listen to my music in peace and not be surveilled when I choose not to be. I love the speakers so I’m glad they behave. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Your profile says you have One SL, which is mic-free. If you have a One - which does have voice input - I’m sure Sonos have targeted you for surveillance. No-one else; just you.

I’m sorry that I haven’t memorized the Sonos product line nor do I care about my forum profile.  Nik don’t be so naive. Your smart tv, phone, watch, tablet are all listening and there are plenty of transcription tools available to the surveillance capitalist community.   I’m trying to make my purchases based on the integrity of the company in their commitment to my privacy.  We are tracked at a scale that would scare you if you have the capacity to understand it and we all need to be thinking about limiting surveillance in our homes. Of course the phone tracks the music I play as does Spotify, and the other gazillion tracking bots on my phone.  But. If I can play my own private music with a device that doesn’t track, I don’t want my speakers doing it without my consent and understanding.  Maybe I’m in the minority now but we should all be aware of our how our behaviors are being tracked and used against us at a scale that in unimaginable to most. In any case, I feel reasonably assured that Sonos has some shred of privacy terms and conditions and I’ll continue to use these. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I’m sorry that I haven’t memorized the Sonos product line nor do I care about my forum profile.  Nik don’t be so naive. Your smart tv, phone, watch, tablet are all listening and there are plenty of transcription tools available to the surveillance capitalist community.   I’m trying to make my purchases based on the integrity of the company in their commitment to my privacy.  We are tracked at a scale that would scare you if you have the capacity to understand it and we all need to be thinking about limiting surveillance in our homes. Of course the phone tracks the music I play as does Spotify, and the other gazillion tracking bots on my phone.  But. If I can play my own private music with a device that doesn’t track, I don’t want my speakers doing it without my consent and understanding.  Maybe I’m in the minority now but we should all be aware of our how our behaviors are being tracked and used against us at a scale that in unimaginable to most. In any case, I feel reasonably assured that Sonos has some shred of privacy terms and conditions and I’ll continue to use these. 

The hardware link between the Mic and the Mic status light is hard-wired. So if the Mic Light is off, then the mic is also off.

Thanks for the rant, and while you have a point about us all being tracked, your OP specifically addressed being listened to by your Sonos devices. Sure, recorded audio can be transcribed, but first they have to actually be listening. The One SL does not have the hardware to listen.

So if you are being tracked or listened to in the bedroom, it may be through a multitude of other means, but not by the Sonos device that has no hardware to do so.