Answered

Is it possible to set the default play location?

• 30 November 2017
  • 6 replies

Badge
Hi,

I have an echo dot which I use to control music on my Sonos 1 speakers, which are grouped together (called Conservatory).

Every time I play music I need to tell Alex "Play on Conservatory", is there a way to set the default to be a group? (so I don't have to say Conservatory every time?). Occasionally I forget and it will start playing on the Echo Dot or state that Amazon Music is already playing somewhere else.

It would make it easier for my children when they're asking Alexa to play something.

Thanks,

Gruss
icon

Best answer by Clinical Precision 30 November 2017, 15:37

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 3
Afraid this is not possible at this time. I'm hoping this will come in a future improvement as you can already do this with smart light bulbs for example by grouping them with a specific dot in the Alexa app. Alexa app does recognise the Sonos as speakers so I have my fingers crossed. This will probably help with the ducking issues as well.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
Afraid this is not possible at this time. I'm hoping this will come in a future improvement as you can already do this with smart light bulbs for example by grouping them with a specific dot in the Alexa app.

How do you do it with bulbs?
Userlevel 3

How do you do it with bulbs?

In Alexa app you can create a group (smart home,groups,add group) you can add a specific echo device in that group (the group is then termed 'Alexa enabled'). So we have two lounge lamps (lamp1 and lamp2) which are grouped with the lounge dot. We can now say 'Alexa turn the lights on' when we are in the lounge and that dot knows we are talking about the 2 lamps as they are 'associated' in the group. We have hive I assume others such as hue work the same. Note that this currently only works with Amazon echo devices - you cannot add the Sonos One to a group currently.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
Ah yes, I knew about groups, i use it for the same. I didn't know about adding the Echo device though! Can you have multiple groups called lights though, 1 for each room?
Userlevel 3
You can call the groups whatever you want. Ours are called lounge, bedroom etc. Alexa knows that when you say 'turn lights on' you mean all smart bulbs grouped with that particular echo you are speaking to.
If I'm in my kitchen and I say "alexa, turn on the lights," the lights in the kitchen come on. If I'm in the living room (another Echo there), and say "alexa, turn on the lights," the lights in that room come on; and so on. I'm looking forward to doing the same with music with "alexa, play music" to default to the Sonos in the same room as the Echo that heard the command. I have my sonos players grouped into the rooms in anticipation, though it's not working, yet.