Interesting update from Napster

• 20 November 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3
  • Avid Contributor I
  • 33 replies

Just had this message from Napster although I am in the UK so not really useful to me. 

We are excited to announce the Napster support Amazon Alexa device in the US.
In the last few months, we have been tirelessly working to improve our product to support Alexa and we believe that Napster app will help you enjoy your music experience..
You can now use Alexa voice commands to access your Napster service to play artists, songs, albums, stations, or playlists.

You can link Amazon Alexa application on your Smartphone and select Napster as the default or preferred music service.

You can download our app directly from the App Store and Google play.
To set up Napster for Alexa, please visit the below web site and follow the instructions.
https://help.napster.com/hc/en-us/articles/360019438811-Napster-on-Alexa

Please contact our Customer Support team at help@napster.com and we will be happy to answer any questions you may have on using Napster on Alexa Devices.

Napster Support.

So, will napster now be able to be controlled through voice on Sonos or not? If not, will it now be added? 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Great news if only Sonos was one of the supported devices, hence my asking if Sonos would now be planning on implementing this. When it was requested when the alexa integration was released on sonos, support said it has to be allowed with napster and alexa before Sonos will do it. Over to you Sonos.

According to napster, these are the supported devices:

Supported devices

• Amazon Echo
  • Amazon Echo Show
  • Amazon Echo Dot
  • Amazon Echo Spot
  • Amazon Echo Auto
  • Amazon Echo Flex
  • Amazon Echo Studio
  • Amazon Echo Buds
  • Amazon Echo Input
Userlevel 2
Badge +3

As much as I would love this feature and would relish testing to see if it works for you, sadly I am in the UK and not the US. Maybe somebody over there can test it. Im sure the rollout to the UK wont be far behind America

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @ianm.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us and sharing this great news. This means that Napster music service is now available on the Amazon Alexa app as a music service. If that is the case, that means that if you have a voice-enabled Sonos device and you added Napster as a music service in the Sonos App, using the Alexa app, you can now add Napster as a music service, and via voice command, you can now play music from Napster using Alexa voice service. That is one key factor to be able to successfully ask Alexa to play music via voice command, the music service needs to be added on both Sonos and the Alexa app.

Please do not hesitate to share more great news so other members of the community who might be looking for answers, may find this thought helpful and would give it a try. 

Thanks,

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @ianm.

Thanks for the awesome update and feedback.

If Napster is now available on Amazon Alexa and since Napster is also available as a music service on Sonos, you should have no problems asking Alexa to play music directly from Napster through a voice-enabled Sonos device. Just like what I have mentioned above, all we need to do first is to make sure that Napster is one of the added music services on both the Sonos App and Alexa app. Next is to make sure that Napster is set as the default music service in the Alexa app. Once all conditions are met, We can give it a try by asking Alexa to play music, and without asking Alexa what music service to use, it should play the music on Sonos directly from Napster music service. Let’s give it a shot.

Please let us know how it goes. We are always here to help.

Thanks,