Answered

Huge volume difference between playbar for TV vs playbar for music

• 9 October 2021
  • 3 replies

Hi guys,

Hoping someone can help. I have a Playbar hooked up to my Sony TV. If I put the TV on and set the volume to what I want when watching a movie - it’s great. 

However, if I then turn the TV off and ask Alexa (Echo) to play a song through the Playbar (using Spotify) - the volume is almost double as loud as the TV. 

So loud in fact that my GF did it the other day and it’s actually blown the bass speakers in the Playbar (a separate issue).  

When I look at the Sonos IOS app whilst doing the above, the volume slider remains at the same level for both TV and Music however what I hear is completely different. 

Anyone got any ideas on what it could be and how to fix it without having to open the Sonos app and lower the slider before choosing music (which defeats the object of wireless / voice activation)? 

Thanks

Dan

icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 9 October 2021, 17:02

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi

Your Playbar is functioning properly. TV volume from sources is always lower than music streamed to your Playbar. I’ve had Sonos for years and that’s always been the case. Just have to remember to turn the volume down before streaming music.

You can also set a Volume Limit > settings > System > Room for Playbar > Sound > Volume Limit

Hi

Your Playbar is functioning properly. TV volume from sources is always lower than music streamed to your Playbar. I’ve had Sonos for years and that’s always been the case. Just have to remember to turn the volume down before streaming music.

You can also set a Volume Limit > settings > System > Room for Playbar > Sound > Volume Limit

Also, setting a volume limit - sets a reasonable upper  limit for the music but then the upper limit for the TV is too quiet… 

Hi

Thanks AjTrek1,

Have you always had the same setup? I ask because when I originally bought the kit - I had to have a bridge connected to router in order for it all to work wirelessly… which it did and I didn’t have that volume issue when switching between TV and Sonos - then with recent Sonos upgrades (recent being used loosely), I’ve removed the bridge as it became superfluous and since then the setup has changed and thus - intro the issue. 

Wondering maybe if having a bridge kept it all connected somehow although by the sounds of it unlikely as you’re saying different sources will provide different outcomes / levels etc.