Answered

How to activate Alexa mics on Sonos One surrounds?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

57 replies

Please fix this! Please enable alexa mics on Play Ones surrounds

I've the same problem. So please take a look and fix this damn thing!

Why is this still an issue? Also my beam does not pick up my voice at all for Alexa when the Sonos ones are connected a sourround. - even when the tv is muted!! The beam will not activate Alexa 

I spend half day trying to enable Alexa with Sonos 1 when setup in 5.1 and was not able to do it as the link to Alexa is lost as soon as you configure the play ones from stand alone to 5.1. This is very frustrating as I bought them for this purpose replacing 2xPlay 5 that i am using stand alone in another room. Please SONOS fix this setup issue. I do not want to add another Echo for this purpose. Thank you

I have exactly the same issue with my setup of sonos ones & beam- very frustrating!! Can anyone confirm if this is still an issue for them? and what are sonos doing to try and solve this issue?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I am a Google Assistant user (on a Beam, setup with One’s as surrounds) and have no Alexa experience, but it does seem odd to me that Beam-users should have to shout at their Beam to have Alexa work. With GA this has never happened to me. With some issues I have had it has helped to uninstall GA from Sonos and then reinstall it. Would this not also work on Alexa?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I once purchased the Beam and Sub, had nothing but problems with it, returned them. Kept the Sonos ones, but now  having the mic problem, just stopped working and yes I did disable sonos and re-enable it in my skills and  yesi tried to turn on the mic, still not working. I am now replacing all sonos components and will never have another sonos device in my house and I will never recommend sonos to anyone wanting he experience sonospromises, but never delivers.

If you still have the Sonos One’s, can you open the Sonos App>Settings>Services>Voice Services>Amazon Alexa and ensure that they are listed as enabled.

Badge

Add me to the list of customers who what this ability enabled!  I just purchased another set of Ones to add as surrounds to have extra Alexa capabilities.   I was fine with having Play:1s but the wifey wanted an Alexa device closer to her. I figured I would replace the Play:1s with Ones since I have that set up with my Playbar.  To my surprise it’s disabled with the Beam.  Please come up with a software update!  

What should we do to get an answer from Sonos?
Nothing is clear, please Sonos, provide an answer! Either this is technically not feasible and explain why, or please add this features that everybody having one Beam and 2 Ones as surround want to see implemented!

Thank's!

Your answer is on the very first page, marked as the best answer.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
As soon as you Enable the Sonos skill within Alexa then all Sonos Alexa devices have the capability to take voice commands. Can you please open the Sonos App>Settings>Room Settings>{Your Sonos One} and ensure that Voice Services are Enabled? If not please click Enabled and follow the prompts.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
The whole Sonos/Amazon Echo integration is a farce. It simple doesn't work in the way anyone would actually use it. When I bought my One the intention was to get Sonos around my entire house, complimenting my Alexa's. All it does though, is compete with it and bring everything to a grinding halt. The Speakers in the garden (connected to a Sonos Connect:Amp for not a small amount of money), which has no Alexa capability, dims the sound when my 7 year old daughter asks the Alexa in her bedroom 30 metres away and on a different floor of the house to play unicorn songs! It's a joke! There was no thought put into the implementation at all, and despite these well documented faults, they are continuing to integrate it into more devices.

I am looking to get rid of my Sonos completely. I have better things to do than constantly fiddle with it because their developers can't build a robust system.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Tim, currently, there's no way for an Echo device to know which Sonos players are in the same room, so your whole system will drop in volume when you trigger Alexa. The Sonos One and Beam are different in that we know what room they're in, and so when you trigger Alexa, only that room will drop in volume so that the command can be heard. We're working on making improvements on this experience for the future as the beta for Alexa with Sonos develops.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes hopefully we get a fix for the ducking of other rooms soon - - well overdue fix.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Hi Tim, currently, there's no way for an Echo device to know which Sonos players are in the same room, so your whole system will drop in volume when you trigger Alexa.

That may be the case, but even if my Connect Amp was sat right next to 100 Alexa devices it still couldn't respond to an instruction so what benefit is there in dipping the sound? It's not coming from Alexa as other devices don't do this My Harmon Kardon, for example.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
The reason is because as with most things Sonos, they don't care what you think. They have your money and so you are dead to them unless you want to give them more money.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Just curious. As the only time the mics on the Sonos One's are disabled is when they are set-up as surround speakers with a Beam, why is this an issue? Is the mic on the Beam not sufficient?
Badge +2
Im looking inte this too but with a Play bar. Is the Ones mics off using Ones as surrounds with a Play bar too? Or does Alexa work when paired with a Play bar since the Play bar doesn’t have Alexa?
Badge +2
The Ones will work as Alexa mics when bonded with the playbar, playbase, or Sonos Amp.

Thanks for your answer. Been thinking about this for a while as I want surrounds and Alexa in the living room
I have exactly the same problem. Bought 2 Sonos Ones rather than the cheaper Play for my Beam thinking that I can have an easier time talking to Alexa but was disappointed.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
News to me - but appears Ryan said they did disable with the Beam. Shouldn't be a big deal though with the Beam as the Alexa.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
The Sonos One microphones work just fine when used as surrounds. I'm not sure what the other posters are talking about. Nothing is disabled in the Sonos Ones when they are surrounds paired with Beam.

Hi Chris. This has been confirmed by Ryan, unless it has changed.

Any progress on this problem. It seems there is a lot of people who could benefit from this functionality. My partner who was sceptical about this setup from the beginning is about fed up with having to yell at across the room all of the time. Please allow the this function! 

Userlevel 1

Just curious. As the only time the mics on the Sonos One's are disabled is when they are set-up as surround speakers with a Beam, why is this an issue? Is the mic on the Beam not sufficient?
correct. The mic on the beam is not sufficient. It’s preferable to have the mic’s on the “ones” enabled so you don’t have to shout. This could be for regular functionality and not CEC in the short term if it made some fix happen. At least make it an option for the consumer.

Someone from Sonos should actually try this in their home. Since getting the 5.1 setup my wife and I are always shouting across the room to get Alexa to hear. In short, if you want to art getting frustrated with Alexa, buy the beam/one 5.1 combo.

Someone from Sonos should actually try this in their home. Since getting the 5.1 setup my wife and I are always shouting across the room to get Alexa to hear. In short, if you want to art getting frustrated with Alexa, buy the beam/one 5.1 combo.

I find that the Beam is just fine for listening, and understand why Sonos wouldn't want to complicate things by making CEC functions only work if the Beam happened to listen to you. However, I completely get why users would want the option of deciding which mics are on and off.

As a potential work around, you can add echos in the same room and setup Alexa groups so that the music plays on the 5.1 setup by default.
Userlevel 3
Badge
I’m not sure about the cec functions since I can ask everything to Alexa through my iPad and it works !

Any progress on this problem. It seems there is a lot of people who could benefit from this functionality. My partner who was sceptical about this setup from the beginning is about fed up with having to yell at across the room all of the time. Please allow the this 

You could get an Echo Dot or Google Mini to avoid the need to yell. (Or possibly just an Echo Input, although I have not yet looked into those.)