Help with setup/ Alexa

I have (3) Sonos One's and (1) Sonos 5. We replaced an Echo on the main floor with three of those four units. The biggest haze though, is (as is now well documented) that with Sonos enabled Alexa devices, you loose the "Drop In" intercom function over Amazon devices. This was the most used, convenient feature of Echo at our house.

Since I can't take the constant conversations throughout the ENTIRE house via "announcements", I find myself needing to add Echo Dots everywhere so we can have the drop in feature in same rooms.
I'm worried now that I'm going to have a mess of integrations/ devices around to manage and use when I went Sonos originally for simplicity.....

Here are my questions:
1) I know I can hard wire Dot to S5, and that unit *should* function normally, and now w/ Dot behaving as it does. I presume I'll want to turn off the mic for a S1 in same room so as not to confuse what Alexa device should act as prime, correct?
2) I would guess I'll need to turn off all of the mics (therefore rendering Alexa useless on Sonos) to get drop in to work via the new Dot units, correct?
3) Once connected via BT, will Dot always answer/ play via the Sonos unit? or, does it only do that when I tell it to (e.g. Play 93XRT on Kitchen)
4) anyone have a suggestion for a more simple integration here? (other than begging Sonos to enable the feature....)

Thanks!
SpartanG

4 replies

Hi Don't use BT or wire any Dots to anything. Set up groups in the Alexa app where each group has the relevant Dot as the Alexa device, the associated Sonos speaker as a device in the group, then set the 'preferred speaker' to be the Sonos speaker. The Dot will default to that speaker if no room is given in the command.

(If you don't have a Dot for every speaker, you can have more than one Sonos device as preferred speakers in a group. The speakers will then group when triggered by Alexa.)
And yes, you would probably be best to turn off the mics on the Ones if you don't want to use the Alexa capability.
Thanks John; it's largely working; Radio.com won't play through Sonos- only the Echo Dot. Everything else works fine and as expected. I can get by w/ this set up, so thanks again for the guidance. someday perhaps it will all work as one...
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Thanks John; it's largely working; Radio.com won't play through Sonos- only the Echo Dot. Everything else works fine and as expected. I can get by w/ this set up, so thanks again for the guidance. someday perhaps it will all work as one...

If I ask 'Alexa, Play Radio 2' this will output on the Echo Dot that triggered after the command, whereas if I ask 'Alexa, Play Radio 2 from Spotify' this will output via the preferred speaker. This is determined by Amazon, rather than Sonos and can be overcome by including the device name in the command - 'Alexa, Play [Radio Name] on [Sonos player Name]'

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings