Answered

Help neede with ducking

• 9 November 2018
  • 3 replies

No matter what music source I play on my grouped speakers. When I ask aleaxa she will duck them, except when its the TV why is this. Please please help its driving me mad I cant find a solution anywhere.
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 9 November 2018, 16:45

Unfortunately, there isn't a solution currently. When speaking to an echo (or some other device), alexa doesn't currently associate a specific sonos room to the device, and doesn't know where ducking needs to occur. It's definitely something on Sonos radar and something they are addressing with Amazon.

There are two exceptions to this. The first is as you noted, TV audio won't duck. The second is if your alexa device is a sonos beam or Sonos One. In this case, sonos obviously knows what room you're in and will only duck that room.
View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Unfortunately, there isn't a solution currently. When speaking to an echo (or some other device), alexa doesn't currently associate a specific sonos room to the device, and doesn't know where ducking needs to occur. It's definitely something on Sonos radar and something they are addressing with Amazon.

There are two exceptions to this. The first is as you noted, TV audio won't duck. The second is if your alexa device is a sonos beam or Sonos One. In this case, sonos obviously knows what room you're in and will only duck that room.
Badge +1
I don't have a beam, but what's 'ducking' mean?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I don't have a beam, but what's 'ducking' mean?

It's when Alexa reduces the volume of any Audio output when detecting the trigger word so that it can hear the command more clearly. FYI: You can now control which speakers 'duck' via Alexa Groups as per my post: https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/an-overview-and-explanation-of-the-new-support-for-alexa-grouping-6817788