Have to ask twice to play Spotify music

Userlevel 2

Everything was working before the update.

I say “alexa, play metallica songs in living room”, and metallica starts to play. I can control volume, pause music, skip songs… no problem at all.

Now I go to the S2 iphone app, and play something different, lets say ACDC in spotify

Then if I say “alexa, play music”, instead of continuing with the ACDC it empties the playlist, shows the metallica song for a second, and then nothing plays. Have to ask again, and metallica starts playing.

Any idea whats going on?

I have tried disabling the skills, removing the playets, reinstalling the apps… everything.

86 replies

Ah my bad! Even though it was somewhat therapeutical to unload the aggravation after experiencing the same problem in S2. :)

Great to see that it’s being worked on. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi Everyone,

We would like you to know that we are aware of this issue affecting some listeners, and that it will be addressed via a future software update.

@peter lindstrom Sonos’ response is almost directly above your post.

Same problem here. Hoped it would be a fault with Sonos v1 so just spent 450USD to replace a speaker just to experience the same problem again. AND this fault has happened at three different houses (my house, my cabin and my parent’s house).

Sonos, instead of asking everyone to go through a teadious list of actions and then get a unclear diagnositic reason, please find the common denominator for this issue and solve it (even if it’s so simple as to working with google/Amazon to confirm that music is playing otherwise send the command again within a few seconds????)

kindly respond to all of the frustrated community regarding this 

I also have this issue but with Spotify connect, I don’t have any Amazon or google voice devices.

If Sonos has been playing from Spotify, works fine. If it’s been playing from anywhere else, I always have to ask twice (and exactly twice) from the Spotify app to get it to play.

diagnostic 1694048938

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi Everyone,

We would like you to know that we are aware of this issue affecting some listeners, and that it will be addressed via a future software update.

Thought I’d pile on here as well.

Seeing the same problems. Seems to be an issue between Spotify Connect and Sonos. Start playing Spotify by choosing a song in the Sonos app, then ask for something from Alexa or Google Assistant (doesn’t matter which), the voice will respond that it’s going to start playing, but it doesn’t. The too many Spotify sessions error appears in the Sonos. Then ask Alexa or Google Assistant to play a second time, and it actually starts playing.

I’ve rebooted my network, made DHCP reservations for my Sonos speakers, unlinked and re-linked the Alexa and Google Assistant skills, even bought a Sonos Boost. Nothing works. 

Sonos engineers, please, please work with Spotify to fix the root cause. This is beyond irritating.

Userlevel 1

I have the same issue where i have to ask Google Assistant to play things twice. 

The issue also appears when i try and play spotify from the mobile app and select a sonos - i have to do it twice. 
diagnostics are 267865516

I've had this and these steps resolved it for me:

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/tips-tricks-resolving-random-issues-impacting-sonos-devices-6845346 

Hi UKMedia

Thanks for this.
I’ve created DHCP reservations for my Sonos and Google Home displays and so far so good (its worked two out of two times) but not sure if this is just due to the fact they’ve just been rebooted.

I’ll continue testing and let you know if there’s further issues. 
Thanks again. 

Just wanted to add it’s been almost two weeks and everything is working well. Thank you!!

Userlevel 1

I have the same issue where i have to ask Google Assistant to play things twice. 

The issue also appears when i try and play spotify from the mobile app and select a sonos - i have to do it twice. 

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/tips-tricks-resolving-random-issues-impacting-sonos-devices-6845346 

Hi UKMedia

Thanks for this.
I’ve created DHCP reservations for my Sonos and Google Home displays and so far so good (its worked two out of two times) but not sure if this is just due to the fact they’ve just been rebooted.

I’ll continue testing and let you know if there’s further issues. 
Thanks again. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Userlevel 1

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Been happening to me for ages too. 

I have the same problem with Google Assistant and it started about two months ago I think.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Nope, those actions fixed this problem for me.  Can you submit a diagnostic and post the number in this thread?

Thanks for your suggestion, unfortunately it didn’t help I’m still having the same issues. Any other ideas ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

After you've completed those steps, please Disable then Re-Enable the Sonos skill in the Alexa App.

Hi Same issue here. I followed all the step described above but no luck, still have to ask twice for the music to start playing. This is getting very frustrating !

Diagnostic number: 173591240

Thanks by advances for your help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

+1 with this problem. I’ve had this problem of requiring two voice commands to initiate a song on Spotify via Google Assistant for half a year now or so. Definitely is annoying and would love a fix.  

Please try these steps: Tips & Tricks - Resolving random issues impacting Sonos devices... | Sonos Community

+1 with this problem. I’ve had this problem of requiring two voice commands to initiate a song on Spotify via Google Assistant for half a year now or so. Definitely is annoying and would love a fix.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Have disabled and enabled the skill now. I rebooted every device that is connected to my broadband either wired or Wi-Fi including things like laptops, smart TV, iPhone, Apple Watch etc

Let us know know it goes. 😁

Have disabled and enabled the skill now. I rebooted every device that is connected to my broadband either wired or Wi-Fi including things like laptops, smart TV, iPhone, Apple Watch etc

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Did you reboot ALL network attached devices? Can you now Disable and then Enable the Sonos skill in the Alexa App.

Sadly. That hasn’t resolved it @UKMedia. It was fine for a few hours this morning and just had to ask Alexa three times to play a song before it played. I’d been playing some music prior to that chosen through the Sonos app so not sure if there’s some kind of clash moving from app instructions to voice instructions

I'm here to report that I experience exactly the same problem.

I even tried different router and network provider, with no luck. Clearly an issue with Sonos. 

Is there a chance to get some feedback from Sonos team regarding this issue as it lasts for a long time already? 

I have exacty the same issue. As mentioned before, after you’ve asked Alexa twice to play the first song, she then gets into a groove and reacts first time to future requests. I’ve tried all the hints and tips on this thread and others which have not worked. Has anyone found a way to solve this?

As others have been posting, this only started happening with the big app update in 2020

Made an account to pile on. Since a few months I have to ask sonos / google home devices twice to play some music on spotify. I get a response that it will start playing and then silence. Ask again and it works. Never need to do it three times, always two. Hope source of issue can be found as this is pretty annoying.