Have to ask twice to play Spotify music

Userlevel 2

Everything was working before the update.

I say “alexa, play metallica songs in living room”, and metallica starts to play. I can control volume, pause music, skip songs… no problem at all.

Now I go to the S2 iphone app, and play something different, lets say ACDC in spotify

Then if I say “alexa, play music”, instead of continuing with the ACDC it empties the playlist, shows the metallica song for a second, and then nothing plays. Have to ask again, and metallica starts playing.

Any idea whats going on?

I have tried disabling the skills, removing the playets, reinstalling the apps… everything.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

100 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Been happening to me for ages too. 

Userlevel 1

I have the same issue where i have to ask Google Assistant to play things twice. 

The issue also appears when i try and play spotify from the mobile app and select a sonos - i have to do it twice. 
diagnostics are 267865516

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I have the same issue where i have to ask Google Assistant to play things twice. 

The issue also appears when i try and play spotify from the mobile app and select a sonos - i have to do it twice. 

I've had this and these steps resolved it for me:

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/tips-tricks-resolving-random-issues-impacting-sonos-devices-6845346 

Userlevel 1

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/tips-tricks-resolving-random-issues-impacting-sonos-devices-6845346 

Hi UKMedia

Thanks for this.
I’ve created DHCP reservations for my Sonos and Google Home displays and so far so good (its worked two out of two times) but not sure if this is just due to the fact they’ve just been rebooted.

I’ll continue testing and let you know if there’s further issues. 
Thanks again. 

Userlevel 1

Hi UKMedia

Thanks for this.
I’ve created DHCP reservations for my Sonos and Google Home displays and so far so good (its worked two out of two times) but not sure if this is just due to the fact they’ve just been rebooted.

I’ll continue testing and let you know if there’s further issues. 
Thanks again. 

Just wanted to add it’s been almost two weeks and everything is working well. Thank you!!

Thought I’d pile on here as well.

Seeing the same problems. Seems to be an issue between Spotify Connect and Sonos. Start playing Spotify by choosing a song in the Sonos app, then ask for something from Alexa or Google Assistant (doesn’t matter which), the voice will respond that it’s going to start playing, but it doesn’t. The too many Spotify sessions error appears in the Sonos. Then ask Alexa or Google Assistant to play a second time, and it actually starts playing.

I’ve rebooted my network, made DHCP reservations for my Sonos speakers, unlinked and re-linked the Alexa and Google Assistant skills, even bought a Sonos Boost. Nothing works. 

Sonos engineers, please, please work with Spotify to fix the root cause. This is beyond irritating.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi Everyone,

We would like you to know that we are aware of this issue affecting some listeners, and that it will be addressed via a future software update.

I also have this issue but with Spotify connect, I don’t have any Amazon or google voice devices.

If Sonos has been playing from Spotify, works fine. If it’s been playing from anywhere else, I always have to ask twice (and exactly twice) from the Spotify app to get it to play.

diagnostic 1694048938

Same problem here. Hoped it would be a fault with Sonos v1 so just spent 450USD to replace a speaker just to experience the same problem again. AND this fault has happened at three different houses (my house, my cabin and my parent’s house).

Sonos, instead of asking everyone to go through a teadious list of actions and then get a unclear diagnositic reason, please find the common denominator for this issue and solve it (even if it’s so simple as to working with google/Amazon to confirm that music is playing otherwise send the command again within a few seconds????)

kindly respond to all of the frustrated community regarding this 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi Everyone,

We would like you to know that we are aware of this issue affecting some listeners, and that it will be addressed via a future software update.

@peter lindstrom Sonos’ response is almost directly above your post.

Ah my bad! Even though it was somewhat therapeutical to unload the aggravation after experiencing the same problem in S2. :)

Great to see that it’s being worked on. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hi Everyone,

Any progress on this update?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi Everyone,

Any progress on this update?

We have no date or other information to share at this time, but we are making progress.

@Corry P , any particular Sonos hardware I could replace that might help alleviate this issue? If there’s a common thread I’d probably buy some new equipment to make this go away. It’s super irritating. Had I not found this thread I was about to replace my Alexa devices with Google to see if that helped.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Maxamillion 

@Corry P , any particular Sonos hardware I could replace that might help alleviate this issue? If there’s a common thread I’d probably buy some new equipment to make this go away. It’s super irritating. Had I not found this thread I was about to replace my Alexa devices with Google to see if that helped.

I believe it’s purely a software issue, so I don’t think updating your speakers for newer ones would help. 

Hey @Corry P

You mentioned that hardware probably wasn’t my issue, so I am wondering if there are any other fixes I can try until Sonos gets this figured out? In the last two years, Sonos has gone from a product I love to one that frustrates me daily. At this point, I’m more surprised when it works on the first try than I am when it doesn’t. I’m told there are known issues with WiFi extenders, but just about everybody into technology uses those these days. That’s not really a workable problem for us. If Sonos can’t make my products work, what is my recourse to get out of this system? Would you buy back my products, since they don’t work for my intended use? Your casual answer of “it will be fixed in a future update” doesn’t exactly give me confidence. What’s going on and when can I expect it to be fixed? 

Frustrated in Minneapolis

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Maxamillion 

Have you tried the steps outlined here?

If you haven’t done so already, I also recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system. This way, we can confirm that the issue you experience isn’t caused by environmental factors.

WiFi extenders are not supported by Sonos because they half the bandwidth of a connection and often don’t pass multicast packets without converting them to unicast. In cases where a customer needs better WiFi coverage, we recommend Mesh WiFi systems or multiple Wired Access Points. Alternatively, or additionally, you can connect a Sonos product to ethernet and your whole Sonos system will create a mesh just for themselves - this can often circumvent configuration issues. 

If your products are within their Money Back Guarantee period, we’d be happy to refund you if you purchased directly from us.

As already mentioned, I cannot give you a date as to when a software fix will be available.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I have the same issue. After playing Spotify through the Sonos app, I then have to try twice to get it to play via Alexa or Spotify Connect: https://en.community.sonos.com/music-services-and-sources-228994/playing-spotify-through-the-sonos-app-causes-issues-for-alexa-and-spotify-connect-6847787

I don’t know if anyone else has tried recently, but this issue appears to be fixed for me. I’m not sure if it was the 13.1.1 update that did it or something else. 

But this morning I was playing music from Spotify through the Sonos app, and I then asked Alexa to play a different song - she played it fine.

I also tested to see if Spotify Connect worked first time after playing through the Sonos app - and it did.

I too has had this issue with My Sonos Amp since S2 was released. 

The new update fixed it for me as well :-)

Thanks! 

Userlevel 2

Hi Everyone,

Hi Corry,

It’s been a few months, any update on this. I just went through and removed Sonos from Alexa, think i did all the steps, re added it and the issue is still happening.

Alexa play **** in the kitchen

**** playing in kitchen {no sound} 

Alexa play **** in the kitchen

**** playing in kitchen {works perfectly} 

Diag report

Thanks

David

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Tallissk 

We now consider this issue closed - it was resolved with the last update, and the issue only occurred on S2 systems. Therefore, I think something else is happening in your case.

Could you please unplug your Bridge from power? Wait 1 minute, then test your speakers (not just voice control, but all use-cases, including grouping).

If that’s better, and there’s no additional problems, pack the Bridge away for good.

If there are new problems, or if that doesn’t help, please plug your Bridge back in and wait another minute or two.

Test again, and if issues persist, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system.

Userlevel 2

@Corry P Sorry to spam the thread, I did that and Alexa work like a charm BUT I could not connect my Sonos to the app on any of my iOS devices or the app on the Mac. Only voice commands worked.

I plugged the bridge back in and all the apps reconnected but the ask Alexa twice thing came back.

It’s interesting you say this is only an issue on S2 because I’ve had it on S1 as an issue for quite a while.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Tallissk 

I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team so they can work towards getting your system fully functional without the use of the Bridge.

Hi @Tallissk 

We now consider this issue closed - it was resolved with the last update, and the issue only occurred on S2 systems. Therefore, I think something else is happening in your case.

Could you please unplug your Bridge from power? Wait 1 minute, then test your speakers (not just voice control, but all use-cases, including grouping).

If that’s better, and there’s no additional problems, pack the Bridge away for good.

If there are new problems, or if that doesn’t help, please plug your Bridge back in and wait another minute or two.

Test again, and if issues persist, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system.

Hi Corry, I experience this issue (still) on S1.

As others describe, as long as Sonos was playing something else or has something in its queue, when I tell Google to play something off Spotify, it takes two attempts.

Right now I am going to make sure that each Sonos has its own unique IP, and will reboot each devices as well to make sure.

I am using UniFi networking equipment, for what it’s worth, but I’ve had this issue as long as I have been using Sonos / Google Assistant.

I would ask that you do not mark the issue as closed, given that you still have a case where an S1 user is experiencing the issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Gradams 

I would ask that you do not mark the issue as closed, given that you still have a case where an S1 user is experiencing the issue.

They way these things are done, this isn’t really possible. I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, so that a separate issue “case” can be flagged as existing on S1, if indeed it is not due to other factors.