Have to ask twice to play Spotify music

Userlevel 2

Everything was working before the update.

I say “alexa, play metallica songs in living room”, and metallica starts to play. I can control volume, pause music, skip songs… no problem at all.

Now I go to the S2 iphone app, and play something different, lets say ACDC in spotify

Then if I say “alexa, play music”, instead of continuing with the ACDC it empties the playlist, shows the metallica song for a second, and then nothing plays. Have to ask again, and metallica starts playing.

Any idea whats going on?

I have tried disabling the skills, removing the playets, reinstalling the apps… everything.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

100 replies

This has recently happened for us (SONOS One G1, Alexa, Spotify).

I ask for something like, “Alexa, play Yellow Submarine”,

Alexa replies “Yellow Submarine Remastered 2009 by The Beatles on Spotify” but then silence.

If I repeat the command, I get the same response but the music starts.

The same is happening when using Google Assistant.

I am having same issue with Alexa. Started in last couple of days.

Yep. Same here. Have to ask twice before I get anything to happen.

Userlevel 2

Any solutions or updates for this bug?

Userlevel 2

Please, has anyone found a solution. It’s happening to more users, so it’s clearly a bug.

it was working weeks ago before the update.

Userlevel 2

This has recently happened for us (SONOS One G1, Alexa, Spotify).

I ask for something like, “Alexa, play Yellow Submarine”,

Alexa replies “Yellow Submarine Remastered 2009 by The Beatles on Spotify” but then silence.

If I repeat the command, I get the same response but the music starts.

I am having same issue with Alexa. Started in last couple of days.

Yep. Same here. Have to ask twice before I get anything to happen.

The same is happening when using Google Assistant.

Have you found any solution to this? This is not happening to me only, so looks like a bug ...

Badge

Happening to me as well. Very frustrating. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi all

I have experienced this issue as well but not consistently - which makes diagnosing more difficult.  I have tried these actions but can’t be 100% sure if it has resolved the issue, time will tell:

Reboot your network in this order:

• Router
  • Any wired Network devices or switches;
  • Any other wired devices;
  • All other Wi-Fi devices (Turning Wi-Fi off and on again on each device would also work)

reboot your network in this order.

Please see this post for further information.

Userlevel 2

Hi all

I have experienced this issue as well but not consistently - which makes diagnosing more difficult.  I have tried these actions but can’t be 100% sure if it has resolved the issue, time will tell:

Reboot your network in this order:

• Router
  • Any wired Network devices or switches;
  • Any other wired devices;
  • All other Wi-Fi devices (Turning Wi-Fi off and on again on each device would also work)

reboot your network in this order.

Please see this post for further information.

Hi, thanks for the reply, but after trying the error persists.

This has been happening to me ever since switching to the new Sonos app. My setup is Beam/Google/Spotify. Every single time I ask Google to play a song, it confirms my request and says “ok now playing [song name] on spotify.” But then nothing plays. If I ask again, I get the same confirmation but then the song plays. This happens every single time. 

Userlevel 2

Is someone on Sonos aware of this bug?? Do you plan to fix it? Clearly is happening to a lot of users since the update 

btw, I think I flagged the thread as answered by mistake. How can I undo that? Thanks

I have exactly same issue since the S2 update. Very frustrating and have to resort to using the app over voice service most of the time as should not have this problem with Spotify. 

Userlevel 2

Any updates on this bug? 

Badge

I still have the same issue. Tried all the usual fixes but nothing so far. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Pmc.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for bringing this to our attention. I understand where you’re coming from especially if we have tried some possible tips and tricks but nothing helped.

Allow me to recommend the following guides and please do follow accordingly.

1. Log out of ALL Amazon-related apps which are and not limited to the following. (Amazon Prime, Amazon Shopping, Amazon Alexa, etc.) 
  2. Open the Amazon Alexa app and disable the Sonos Skill.
  3. De-register any Sonos product on the Alexa App.
  4. Open the Sonos App.
  5. Remove the Alexa Voice service.
  6. Force close Sonos app.
  7. Force close the Alexa App.
  8. Reopen the Sonos App. Add Alexa as a voice service.
  9. Open Alexa app Add Sonos as skill
  10. Register Sonos speaker
  11. Add music service.
  12. Test to check if it works.
  13. Submit a diagnostic to capture all information performed on the Sonos devices.

Please let me know how it goes. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

HI @Alejandrix33.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us.

I would like to ask if we can try my recommendations above accordingly. This issue is not a bug just to clear things up as our engineering team have no provided information that this is a known issue within the Sonos system.

Please let us know how it goes. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Manchuwok and @beardyross77.

May I recommend trying the provided recommendation and let us see how it goes.

Please let us know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Badge

I attempted this last night and on the test it worked first time. 
however, this morning, again I had to ask it twice for it to work?  

Badge

Diagnostic number is 1313740747 

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Pmc.

Thanks for the update and immediate response with a submitted diagnostic.

based on the provided diagnostic, the Sonos Beam is having a hard time communicating to the internet and is having a high value in wireless interference and failure to communicate. This may be causing the issue. I would like to recommend contacting our technical support team for further troubleshooting so they can take a look what might be causing these wireless interference.

Please let us know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Is there a fix for this? 

I changed my Sonos system from Alexa to Google assistant and the problem is exactly the same. Assistant responds telling you what it’s going to play and then nothing. asking again ALWAYS works.

Not a wifi issue as it happens on one of my Sonos one that is in the same room as the main WIFI AP.

Problem is with Sonos.

Entire network has been reset several times, this issue has been with us for several months now.

2 x One

2 x Play1

1 x Play5

S1 app

BT Whole Home WIFI

Thanks

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @TimBiddulph.

I would like to recommend submitting a diagnostic after the issue re-occurs so we can check what is going on with the Sonos system. Please take note of the diagnostic number. I would also like to ask if we can try removing Google Assistant from the Sonos app and then re-add Google assistant as a voice service. Once the suggestion is done, I would like to ask if we can try it again to observe if it did make any changes and then submitting a diagnostic so we can further check.

Please let us know how it goes. We are always here to help out.

Thanks,

Hi @Paul A 

diagnostic number is 139801197

thanks,

Tim

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @TimBiddulph.

Thanks for your immediate response and for submitting a diagnostic.

Upon checking the submitted diagnostic, it shows an error of Spotify stream limit. Here is a topic in the community that discusses the Spotify stream limitation on Sonos. To read more information about multiple accounts, check out this article.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,