Harmony Hub Users... Sonos Conflict?

• 15 March 2018
  • 4 replies

I bought a pair of Sonos One speakers. I set them up with Alexa and everything worked flawlessly for two days. This morning they were working great... but when I got home from work, the Alexa integration for playing music was wonky (all other Alexa commands were fine). Alexa would acknowledge commands, but not act on them. If I can get it to play music at all, I can't pause or skip tracks via Alexa. I've done the whole routine of disabling/enabling Alexa skills... logging out/logging into accounts... removing/adding devices... removing/adding services... and nothing works no matter how many times I try. Then, as I was running everything yet again with Sonos Twitter support, I finally got music commands to work for playing music and even pausing ... but when I told Alexa to resume, the command was not going to Sonos... it was going to my Harmony Hub which controls my television.

At first I thought the problem had to do with Amazon Music Unlimited thinking it was already streaming somewhere else (which is a constant problem). But now I am wondering if all the trouble I'm having getting Alexa to control Sonos is because of a conflict with Harmony Hub? Is anybody else who.is having Sonos control problems also using Harmony Hub?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi

I have the Harmony Hub Ultimate and am not having any problems but I have made sure that all device names across Alexa and the Harmony are unique. The Answer in the post details my solution for most of these problems but I suspect it is a naming issue from what you've described:

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/alexa-says-she-is-playing-on-kitchen-but-no-sound-comes-out-6800126/index1.html#post16210022
Hmmm... your post must be one of the ones I found in the forums, because I followed through this list exactly. The only thing I didn't know how to do was power down my speakers because a search for how to do that told me they are "always on" so I unplugged them instead. The renaming was the first thing I tried. I just thought since "pause" happens on Sonos but "resume" happens on Harmony that there might be a connection somehow. Oh well... back to the drawing board.
Badge +1
Hi Blogography, did you find a solution? I got exactly the same problem, I worked with Sonos Technical Support for hours, and their preliminary conclusion was that the problem lies within my network. They found a very high latency in my network, too long for the servers to respond properly. While the explanation makes sense, I don't want to buy another router or deal with the internet provider. Just don't have the time. So I returned the Sonos One. I wish the technology were more tolerant of "inefficient" networks, cause all of my other devices at home work well. It is only the Sonos One that didn't work. Please let us know what happened in your case! Good luck!
Not really. I ended up buying a PLAYBAR, so my Sonos One speakers were reconfigured as the rear channels. As if by magic, everything started working as it should again... so far! I have no idea why. Running through the list by UKMedia in the link above would sometimes get things working correctly, but ultimately Sonos via Alexa would start misbehaving again for no reason I could understand. I documented my frustrations and things that best worked for me here: https://blogography.com/archives/2018/03/sonos-and-problems-part-5-of-5.html Good luck to you!