Answered

Group/Degroup Sonos speakers using Alexa/Echo dot voice control

• 13 February 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge

Hi there Sonos experts !

I have a simple, but annoying, difficulty that I’m hoping someone has already overcome or reached a dead end with.

I regularly group a number of our Sonos speakers together so we don’t get the phasing issues with them when moving from one room to another (kitchen, dining room, study). I have always used the Sonos app to group/degroup  them (& have enabled the Sonos skill in the Alexa app so I can speak to ‘her’ to play music, raise/lower volume and short circuit the syntax to do so), but I’m curious as to whether I can also use specific syntax to also group/degroup the speakers from one another if I want to play different music/content in different rooms, rather than having to use the Sonos app on my phone/iPad to do so ?

If the answer is ‘you can’t (yet)’ that’s fair enough, but I didn’t want to not use the feature through ignorance.

Cheers,

Mike

icon

Best answer by jgatie 13 February 2022, 18:44

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

You can initiate play to a group using Alexa Groups, but you cannot dynamically group/ungrounded on the fly.

Alexa Smart Home Device Groups and Sonos

Badge

That’s really helpful, thank you. I did think that maybe it wasn’t possible to use Alexa to group/degroup the various speakers as I couldn’t find any info on it, and no matter what words I used, nothing seemed to work, so it’s good to receive confirmation that it’s not just me being a bit thick ! Cheers again, Mike 👍🏻

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

My now-retired Alexa skill could do this. I chose “tell my speaker to add the Kitchen” as the syntax (similar for removal). I thought it was obvious but my wife (#1 user) was less convinced and usually broke out the app.

That’s really helpful, thank you. I did think that maybe it wasn’t possible to use Alexa to group/degroup the various speakers as I couldn’t find any info on it, and no matter what words I used, nothing seemed to work, so it’s good to receive confirmation that it’s not just me being a bit thick ! Cheers again, Mike 👍🏻

As a general rule, if Echos don’t have the feature themselves (like dynamic grouping), then Amazon won’t let you do it by voice on Sonos either.