Answered

Google Assistant and Sonos

• 20 June 2018
  • 9 replies

I have read different places online, claiming that the Sonos One will get Google Assistant, meaning you can say stuff like "Ok Google" directly to the Sonos One speaker, without the need of a Google Home speaker.

I originally though, Sonos only was going to support Google Assistant so that you can say "Ok Google play xxx on Sonos" to your Google Home speaker, and the Sonos speaker will be able to do so.

Which scenario is the correct one?
icon

Best answer by h1lt0n 20 June 2018, 20:31

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Badge
I searched Google "Google assistant control Sonos", and it pops out this useless article about a 3rd party app Yonomi. Tried it, nothing works. However I realized that is exactly what IFTTT was meant for. So I tried IFTTT and it works fine. Now it has basic function like "Ok Google" "Start Sonos" to play selected album. "Ok Google" "Stop Sonos" to pause playing. or "Ok Google" "Set Sonos volume to 30" to adjust volume.
This is some very basic function, I am hoping IFTTT and Sonos could come out with more fun features. Since my Sonos play 1 doesn't have the smart function as the Sonos one, this will be my only option to control it with voice~
Honestly, I'd be pretty happy if they would just add google cast support. I have a speaker bar from vizio that can do that. I imagine that would be easy relative to adding full support for google assistant. Then you could just stick a google home mini somewhere in the vicinity and designate the sonos as the default speaker for that google home device.

I wish just once someone would actually pull the trigger.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Sony & JBL.
I also have my suspicions regarding Google Assistant on Sonos. The CEO of Sonos recently had an interview with the Verge. He was asked twice to confirm the launch of Google Assistant during 2018, he declined to answer the question! Only saying there are issues and are working with Google. I suspect Sonos have pinned their flag to Alexa.

I wouldn't read too much into that. He's got to be careful not to give out information they don't want to share, or perhaps that Google doesn't want shared. It still is a vague date though regardless, so it Google assistant is very important to you and you see other options, it certainly makes sense to consider those options.

Waiting until the autumn I'd no joy by then, then I will be buying other manufacturers. If I have to go down that option I will sell my Sonos devices. This also follows my disappointment with the Beam and no HDMI pass through. Really think Sonos have lost their way!

What other manufacturers are you looking at?
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I also have my suspicions regarding Google Assistant on Sonos. The CEO of Sonos recently had an interview with the Verge. He was asked twice to confirm the launch of Google Assistant during 2018, he declined to answer the question! Only saying there are issues and are working with Google. I suspect Sonos have pinned their flag to Alexa.

Waiting until the autumn I'd no joy by then, then I will be buying other manufacturers. If I have to go down that option I will sell my Sonos devices. This also follows my disappointment with the Beam and no HDMI pass through. Really think Sonos have lost their way!
If Google Assistant is actually rolled out. "coming in 2018" with the Play:One PR materials seems to have changed to "coming in the future" with the Sonos Beam PR materials. Color me skeptical.

Huh? Where are you getting your information from?
If Google Assistant is actually rolled out. "coming in 2018" with the Play:One PR materials seems to have changed to "coming in the future" with the Sonos Beam PR materials. Color me skeptical.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
I have read different places online, claiming that the Sonos One will get Google Assistant, meaning you can say stuff like "Ok Google" directly to the Sonos One speaker, without the need of a Google Home speaker.

I originally though, Sonos only was going to support Google Assistant so that you can say "Ok Google play xxx on Sonos" to your Google Home speaker, and the Sonos speaker will be able to do so.

Which scenario is the correct one?

Alexa is native on the Sonos One and it works well. However, for the rest of the range - - excluding the beam - - you need an Amazon device plugged in somewhere. As JBL have native Google support without a separate device it's safe to assume a separate Google device will not be required for Sonos when Google assistant support is rolled out.