Question

Getting Alexa to play over multiple groups

• 25 October 2017
  • 5 replies

I got alexa connected, but I cannot seem to get her to play on more than one room at a time. She does not recognize Everywhere and she doesn't response to "play X in Kitchen and Living room" just one or the other.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

To play to a group of speakers, you can group via the Sonos app, then tell Alexa to play to any room in the group and the entire group will play.

Grouping of 3rd party speakers in the Alexa app (i.e the "Everywhere" group) is not currently supported by Amazon/Alexa. If you do attempt to use it, results are clunky and unpredictable, as you have seen. Amazon has announced a Multi-Room Speaker SDK is coming early next year that will address this feature, but we do not know to what extent Sonos speakers can or will utilize this SDK.
With the new update to the sonos app I have not been able to create a new group (combining kitchen and living rooms). I can only seem to turn on or off room or everywhere. Am I missing something?
With the new update to the sonos app I have not been able to create a new group (combining kitchen and living rooms). I can only seem to turn on or off room or everywhere. Am I missing something?

Swipe down on the top to bring up the Tabs bar. Tap the Rooms tab. Tap Group on the room you wish to group to. Select the rooms you want in the group, tap Done.
If you are saying from the rooms screen it does not work that way in the new version of the sonos app. In the new version of the app, from the rooms screen you can no longer swipe down to see the rooms and create groups.
You need to select the Rooms tab to get to the room selection screen, which is just like the old app. See John B's excellent users guide here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5LY6yD3BW7adkstOHVDVzZUMUE/view