Gen 2 Sonos One

• 7 March 2019
  • 5 replies

Do you think the new Gen 2 Sonos One will make Alexa better? Or will it stay the same as it is on Gen 1. Just wondering if I should upgrade in the future. Maybe with Gen 2 it can support more Alexa functions. That would be nice and a worthy upgrade.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

My personal opinion is that you should never buy speakers (or products in general) based on the features they will eventually, have, or that you think they'll have. Buy them for what they are right now. You can always buy the speaker later when it actually has the features you're looking for.

Sonos has stated that the sound is identical, so I think then the only deciding factor would be how well Alexa hears you. If you're not happy with that on the Gen 1, then perhaps see if people who've bought the Gen 2 feel that this has been improved. It's early still, so that answer won't come for another week or so at least.

Personally, I'm fine with everything the Gen 1 has and see no reason to switch them out for a Gen 2 at this point.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I find it worrying that Google Assistant hasnt made it yet to gen 1 and now gen 2 makes an appearance.
Don't. Google Assistant will be available on both when it's ready to go.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, AWR. Welcome to the community. I can't comment specifically as to the functionality of future releases. Just to be clear, however: As far as Alexa functionality and the improvement thereof, this would not be dependent on hardware. It would sooner be governed by updates on a software level. Let's see what others think.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Agreed, Danny. The possibility of expansion in features later down the line can be a small perk to keep in mind but should never be the basis for a purchase. At least it wouldn't be for me.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I find it worrying that Google Assistant hasnt made it yet to gen 1 and now gen 2 makes an appearance.