Answered

'Edit Name' option in Alexa app for Sonos device

• 5 September 2019
  • 6 replies

In the Amazon Alexa app > Devices tab, when I select one of my Sonos speakers and access the Device Settings screen, I am unable to change the name of my Sonos device using the 'Edit Name' option. I can change the text, but when I click 'Done' the name reverts back to the default name of 'Thomas's Sonos One Second Edition'.
icon

Best answer by John B 20 January 2020, 17:29

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Badge

Thank you both; I will try this again tonight.  Appreciate the advice.

Hi.  I had a similar issue with my Sonos Beam (my only Alexa-enabled Sonos device) and tried a similar approach to what you set out, and it seemed to stick for me.  Speculative suggestions:

1. Hit the ‘x’ to eliminate the original name rather than just overtype.
  2. Make sure you tap ‘Done’ on the keyboard, and don’t just reverse out
  3. Use a different name, not just ‘Bedroom’ etc (it sounds like you are already doing this)
  4. Change all three of your names not just one.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi David

There are two devices loaded for each Sonos One - One for the Speaker and the other for the Alexa component. Your device D’d first Sonos One is the default Alexa name but should be able to be changed.  Very strange...

Badge

Hi UKMedia

I am having the same problem, and I don’t think your proposal solves it.

In my Sonos app, my three Alexas are named Kitchen, Bedroom, Living Room.

When I go to the Alexa app, those names are used for some purposes but not others.

For instance, when I set reminders, the app offers me “D’s first [second, third] sonos one” etc, and NOT the names above.

Why’s that a problem.  Mainly because it requires me to remember which it thinks is my first, second, and third Sonos.  Also because it’s messy and irritating.

If I go to Alexa app > Settings > Device settings, what I get is the following.  Three devices are listed correctly as Kitchen, Bedroom, Living Room.  If I select Bedroom, say, I am shown a page with Bedroom as title, but then a speaker icon named as “D’s second sonos one”.

To see if it would help, I renamed the speaker there, to “Bedroom sonos”.  This worked for a few minutes, but then I noticed when setting more reminders that the system had reverted to using “D’s second sonos one”, e.g. that is how reminders are described.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

David  

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi both

I suppose the first question to ask is why do you want to change the name?  The reason I ask is that the default name for a Sonos device in the Alexa App is the device name as defined within the Sonos App.  This is the best place to rename any Sonos device and you just need to ask Alexa to Discover Devices for that to be reflected within the Alexa App.

The exception to this is when you have added the device within the Sonos App directly as part of a Stereo Pair or Surround Speaker set-up.  In this case, you’ll get a name like 'Thomas's Sonos One Second Edition'.  Is this your case?

Changing this name won’t have a behavioral change but I can understand why you might want to tidy things up and it should work as you are attempting to change it.

Have you tried using the browser version of the Alex app  https://alexa.amazon.co.uk/  or  https://alexa.amazon.com

This can sometimes work better at this type of task than the app version.

Badge

I’m having the same problem. Unable to find a solution.