Echo Dot & Sonos Play 1 poor integration

• 22 October 2017
  • 10 replies

So I was finally excited to hear that you can enable the Sonos skill on my Echo Dot. Took me a while to figure out why the Echo would not play any music on my Sonos until I read that you have to command it by naming the speaker.

For example Alexa play blank blank on Bedroom.

Are all Sonos speakers like this?

Why can't Alexa just play music on the speaker?
I believe if I connect a bluetooth speaker to the Dot it just plays it on the bluetooth speaker.

Another complaint that I have is that I can't hear Alexas responses through the speaker. If music is playing I can't hear her respond to me. Like when i ask "alexa who is this?". For one she can barely hear me and two when she does I can't hear her because of the music.

When is Sonos going to integrate with the Play 1 seemlessly. I am already disappointed with the Play 1 from day 1. When Amazon was running a promo last xmas for the play 1 and echo dot. You would think it will work together. Nope.

I had to wait 10 months before they worked together and now that they do it stinks big time.

What a waste. I have yet to use the play 1. it just sits there because it was bought for alexa.

Frustrating

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I just named my Sonos speaker as 'Sonos', and when I want to play through it I have to say 'Alexa, play radio 2 on Sonos'.

It would be nice if it just played through the SOnos by default, and without me having to specify where to play it. But at the moment, unless I specify 'Sonos' then the sound comes out of the Dot.

If you have a Sonos One then you don't need to specify the Room Name when the Sonos One is triggered but as the Echo Dot is also a Speaker from a Smart Home perspective, you need to specify the Room Name to output music on another device. If you get multiple Sonos players, it will soon be obvious why you need to do this.
Badge +1
I just named my Sonos speaker as 'Sonos', and when I want to play through it I have to say 'Alexa, play radio 2 on Sonos'.

It would be nice if it just played through the SOnos by default, and without me having to specify where to play it. But at the moment, unless I specify 'Sonos' then the sound comes out of the Dot.
Let me add something. Last month I purchased the Sonos Playbar. I am now going to get the Sonos Play 1 for a different room. Echo works flawlessly with it. So does my dot. Why spend the extra $50 for the Sonos One, if you have the dot? For aesthetics or space considerations, maybe.

The big discovery I made is that my $3.99 monthly Amazon Unlimited Echo only subscription plays through the Sonos. That way, I get the entire Amazon library, through my Sonos, for $3.99. However, if I go directly through the Sonos app, and select a song not in the $3.99 plan, I often get the message, “device not authorized for this selection.”

As you found out, you have to name the room. If you don’t, the song plays through the dot, not the Sonos.

Also, once you add a second Sonos, you will appreciate the reason for naming the room.

So I was finally excited to hear that you can enable the Sonos skill on my Echo Dot. Took me a while to figure out why the Echo would not play any music on my Sonos until I read that you have to command it by naming the speaker.

I believe if I connect a bluetooth speaker to the Dot it just plays it on the bluetooth speaker.

Another complaint that I have is that I can't hear Alexas responses through the speaker. If music is playing I can't hear her respond to me. Like when i ask "alexa who is this?". For one she can barely hear me and two when she does I can't hear her because of the music.

When is Sonos going to integrate with the Play 1 seemlessly. I am already disappointed with the Play 1 from day 1. When Amazon was running a promo last xmas for the play 1 and echo dot. You would think it will work together. Nope.

I had to wait 10 months before they worked together and now that they do it stinks big time.

What a waste. I have yet to use the play 1. it just sits there because it was bought for alexa.

Frustrating

Frustrating
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos has mentioned wanting to create permanent links between the alexa device and Sonos. Many aspects this would improve the experience.

#1 Only duck the audio of the speaker associated with that Alexa device
#2 Ability to feed Alexa responses to the Sonos speaker
#3 remove requirement to always speak the sonos speaker name

I think we will see an option early next year that addresses this. I'm sure they would like it working this way as well but they had to at least get the app out to customers (which to me is about 75% there so better something then nothing).

I think HEOS announced compatibility (me too) a few weeks after Sonos ... and their rushed out Me-To version just lets you play/pause your music. So Sonos is much more integrated then anyone else right now.

I never said I expected the Play 1 to become an Echo device. Where did I say that? I want to hear Alexa talk through the speaker. Is that too much to ask? I don’t expect to talk to the sonos and get a reply. I still need to direct my questions to the echo. I am aware of that.

I saw this:

Another complaint that I have is that I can't hear Alexas responses through the speaker.

and assumed you expected the Alexa responses to come through the Sonos speaker. If that was not the case, I apologize.

As to your other laments, Sonos is first and foremost a multi-room speaker system. At this particular time, Amazon's Connected Speaker API requires that you designate a room to play in as part of the command so that Alexa knows what room to send it to. There is currently no capability to assign an Alexa device to a particular room as part of the Alexa setup. Amazon is supposed to have a new AVS Multi-Room Music SDK that more directly addresses multi-room music for 3rd party speakers. That will be released early next year. Only you can decide if this work in progress between Sonos and Amazon is worth it.
You bought the Play 1 just for this reason? You really should have done more research. The "Sonos One" works exactly how you wished that your Play 1 would work, and it's the same price $199. You should sell your Play 1 and your Echo Dot and just get yourself a Sonos One. You will be happy.

I bought the play 1 over a yr ago. sonos one didn’t exist. There was little out there about the play 1 and echo but the fact the Sonos and Amazon promoted both device together was misleading. Amazon even sold them as a bundle. Thats how I purchased it. Don’t tell me that isn’t misleading.
Sonos never claimed that the integration would turn your Play:1 into an Echo device. They said from the start that you would be able to control your Sonos sound system using Alexa, not that your Sonos sound system would magically become an Alexa/Echo device. If you thought differently, you didn't read the literature.

I never said I expected the Play 1 to become an Echo device. Where did I say that? I want to hear Alexa talk through the speaker. Is that too much to ask? I don’t expect to talk to the sonos and get a reply. I still need to direct my questions to the echo. I am aware of that.
Sonos never claimed that the integration would turn your Play:1 into an Echo device. They said from the start that you would be able to control your Sonos sound system using Alexa, not that your Sonos sound system would magically become an Alexa/Echo device. If you thought differently, you didn't read the literature.
You bought the Play 1 just for this reason? You really should have done more research. The "Sonos One" works exactly how you wished that your Play 1 would work, and it's the same price $199. You should sell your Play 1 and your Echo Dot and just get yourself a Sonos One. You will be happy.