Echo dot multi room control

• 6 October 2017
  • 8 replies

Hi all and hello. If this question is in the wrong place, apologies.. My Sonos account is up to date. My Elexa app recognizes all my devises. I can get music playing from all devices but not at the same time. Sometimes one track is playing from one speaker and another from another. I cannot seem to get Elexa to sync and get one track playing from all speakers simultaneously. is this something that will be sorted or am I doing something wrong?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 2
I believe Alexa doesn't create groups as yet. If you group the devices from the sonos app first, then ask Alexa to play from any in the group that should work.
Hopefully!!
Badge
Have you set up a group of devices in the Alexa app? Go to the settings > smart home . groups and create a group for your speakers (e.g. downstairs/whole house, whatever) and try using that group as a key word to play music from.
Thanks for the reply. Yes I have. I have set up BACK for all speaker at the back of the house and ALL for, well you can guess. The app obviously recognises them individually.
Are you trying to get your Sonos speakers to play in sync, or your echo speakers to play in sync? What devices do you have?

If you want to get your echo's to play in sync, sonos is not involved in any way. From your last post, it sounds like you setup group names for your echos. Then all you need to do is tell Alexa "play XXXXX in the BACK", or "play XXXX on ALL".

If you want to get sonos devices to play in sync, group the devices/zones in the Sonos app, then tell Alexa "play XXXX in YYYY"....where YYYY is one of the names of your sonos zones.

You cannot play sonos speakers and echo speakers in sync.
Thanks for the replies and I get everything that has been said. What I am trying to achieve is telling Elexa to play the same song in several rooms at the same time. I have set up groups on both the Sonos and Echo app. Are you saying that I should delete the Groups on Echo App and just tell Alexa which rooms I want to play in. I have tried but it gets confused and plays different tracks in each room :?
Thanks for the replies and I get everything that has been said. What I am trying to achieve is telling Elexa to play the same song in several rooms at the same time. I have set up groups on both the Sonos and Echo app. Are you saying that I should delete the Groups on Echo App and just tell Alexa which rooms I want to play in. I have tried but it gets confused and plays different tracks in each room :?

Delete any groups containing Sonos devices in the Alexa app. They aren't supported at this time and can confuse things. The current way to play in multiple rooms via Alexa commands is to group the rooms via the Sonos app, then tell Alexa to play in any one of the grouped rooms.
I think I’m having the same problem... on my Sonos app I have the following: a lounge group with bar and 1’s, a kitchen with a 3 and a bedroom with a 1. These are all set up and work brilliantly.

I have just purchased a dot via which I am able to tell Alexa to play music in any one of those rooms. This works perfectly. The problem comes when I try to play the same music in multiple rooms via Alexa. This is obviously easily done via Sonos app but Alexa seems to get confused and either plays different songs by the same artist in different rooms or just plays the artist in one room.
I tried forming groups in the Alexa app calling one downstairs (this included my kitchen and lounge Sonos groups) but when I tell her to play music downstairs she recognised the group but again it won’t play in both rooms.
Is this an issue they are trying to work out or is there a fix?
It does sound like you are having the same issue, and the solution for you should be the same. Do not setup speakers groups in Alexa involving your Sonos zones. You can only setup groups in the Sonos app. You can tell Sonos to play audio in any one of the zones in your group, and it should play in the whole group.

I wouldn't say it's something that they are trying to fix, because technically, it's not broken. It's a desirable feature that isn't implemented yet. Sonos has stated that they are aware that the feature is desired, but can't give any info on when and if that feature will be added. It's important to understand that implementing this feature will sure require some work on Amazon's part, and their customers and priorities are different than Sonos.