Question

Echo Dot linked to Sonos pair causing intermittent breaks in Tune-In Radio 2

• 30 January 2018
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3
  • Avid Contributor I
  • 27 replies
I have connected an Echo Dot to our home ecosystem, and at present have it linked to just one set of Play 1's paired in the kitchen. Alexa is able to start playing Radio 2 via the TuneIn service, and other commands appear to be working satisfactorily. Whilst listening last night we became aware that the sound was being broken/disturbed, every few seconds (say ten seconds or less). It was just continually breaking in mid-stream and then resuming having missed a very small bit. This only began after we had connected the Dot, up until that point, Sonos was a fairly rock-steady output. I chose to close the TuneIn stream and moved to a Spotify playlist of old (both done manually, not using Alexa). The playlist was faultless and normal playback resumed. My question would be, is there something amiss with our newly connected Echo Dot device that could cause this continuous breaking of the stream? Has anyone else experienced this stuttering effect using Alexa to command Sonos?

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +19
I have found the feeds Amazon use for BBC broadcasts, and streams to Sonos, to be far inferior to the ones that you select on Sonos with Tune in. I have reported it to Amazon an few times and whilst BBC Radio London is fine the BBC2 feed still fails. Playing the radio on our Alexa devices only make no difference and the feed stops typically after 10-15 minutes.
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
I have found the feeds Amazon use for BBC broadcasts, and streams to Sonos, to be far inferior to the ones that you select on Sonos with Tune in. I have reported it to Amazon an few times and whilst BBC Radio London is fine the BBC2 feed still fails. Playing the radio on our Alexa devices only make no difference and the feed stops typically after 10-15 minutes.

Thanks bockersjv, but as I understand it Alexa is only invoking the Sonos stream to commence, using TuneIn Radio to bring the BBC Radio 2 feed in. I am pretty sure I heard Alexa say "starting BBC Radio 2 on TuneIn Radio" ....
Userlevel 6
Badge +19
No. It is different. Alexa is invoking an amazon (Alexa) stream which it directs to Sonos to play. This is different from the Tune in stream Native Sonos app uses. The sonos one is also a few seconds behind the Alexa one in my experience
Badge
Alexa definitely selects a different quality stream from TuneIn, to the stream selected if using Sonos app - eg when I ask Alexa to "play Radio 2 in the Kitchen" the stream selected by Alexa from TuneIn - which shows on the Sonos App - is called "Radio 2 Horwich" and I suffer regular drop outs - but when I select direct from Sonos App it is called "BBC Radio 2" - and is rock solid

Amazon need to sort something out with TuneIn so Alexa selects better quality feeds.

Another option is for Sonos to allow RadioPlayer to be default Media provider instead of/as well as TuneIn - they have better quality BBC Streams via Alexa and Echo/Dot users can select this as their default Media Player

Fingers crossed their is movement on this soon as it spoils my enjoyment of the Alexa integration
I have exactly the same issue. Didn't anyone test this? It is so easily repeatable.