Answered

Easier commands for radio?

• 3 June 2019
  • 8 replies

I was wondering if there was an easier way to get alexa to play my radio station?

I used to be able to say "alexa play the radio" and she would play my last tune-in station. Worked fine for me.

Since I have signed up for Amazon prime, alexa automatically searches for a random playlist she thinks I would like when asked to play the radio .... No alexa, I don't want to hear 80s pop...

Currently, I have to say "alexa play 181 fm the buzz" to get to the station I want. First world problems, but it gets annoying to have to say 12 syllables everytime I want my radio on. And half the time she mis hears me...

I know commands can be set up on Amazon alexa devices and I know this feature isn't available on Sonos...

I have had this Sonos for over a year and am so disappointed in the empty promises. When I bought it December of 2017 I read they will be adding Google assistant in 2018. Finally I read that Canada will get it July of 2019. Not impressed that I had to wait that long to use alexa with my google play music account.

I have not been an advocate of this system to my friends and family.
icon

Best answer by John B 4 June 2019, 16:18

Just out of curiosity, I created an IFTTT applet so that now if i say 'Alexa, trigger radio', that station you mentioned plays on my Dining Room Sonos speaker. Would that sort of thing be progress? It isn't perfect, I know.
View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Try this in Alexa app

Go to settings

go down to Music

go down to default services

under default stations change away from Amazon Music (not sure what it was before but unfortunately Tune In isn't a choice. Maybe choosing iheartradio or something will fix).
Thanks for your help. My only options for default music is amazon music or Spotify. I don't use Spotify.
Just out of curiosity, I created an IFTTT applet so that now if i say 'Alexa, trigger radio', that station you mentioned plays on my Dining Room Sonos speaker. Would that sort of thing be progress? It isn't perfect, I know.
When I bought it December of 2017 I read they will be adding Google assistant in 2018. Finally I read that Canada will get it July of 2019. Not impressed that I had to wait that long to use alexa with my google play music account.

Alexa has nothing whatsoever to do with the Google Assistant, Google and Amazon are competitors in this space. You won't be able to control Google Play Music via Alexa, if that's what you mean.

Sucess. This works. Only issue is alexa doesn't respond to any kind of stop command to turn off the radio. I have manually turn off the station in the Sonos app. Thank you for your help.

When I bought it December of 2017 I read they will be adding Google assistant in 2018. Finally I read that Canada will get it July of 2019. Not impressed that I had to wait that long to use alexa with my google play music account.Alexa has nothing whatsoever to do with the Google Assistant, Google and Amazon are competitors in this space. You won't be able to control Google Play Music via Alexa, if that's what you mean.

I meant to write that my disappointment was with not being able to use my Sonos (not alexa) with voice commands through Google assistant to control my google play music. Sorry for the mix up there. I'm used to calling that speaker the alexa speaker as that is all it is capable of atm.

Just out of curiosity, I created an IFTTT applet so that now if i say 'Alexa, trigger radio', that station you mentioned plays on my Dining Room Sonos speaker. Would that sort of thing be progress? It isn't perfect, I know.Sucess. This works. Only issue is alexa doesn't respond to any kind of stop command to turn off the radio. I have manually turn off the station in the Sonos app. Thank you for your help.

'Stop' works for this on my system. Maybe that is an unrelated glitch? Alexa doesn't seem to be entirely reliable and stable.

Just out of curiosity, I created an IFTTT applet so that now if i say 'Alexa, trigger radio', that station you mentioned plays on my Dining Room Sonos speaker. Would that sort of thing be progress? It isn't perfect, I know.Sucess. This works. Only issue is alexa doesn't respond to any kind of stop command to turn off the radio. I have manually turn off the station in the Sonos app. Thank you for your help.
'Stop' works for this on my system. Maybe that is an unrelated glitch? Alexa doesn't seem to be entirely reliable and stable.

Tested again and 'stop' does work. Thank you for your help. The IFTT solves my issue and is worth exploring more. Seems there are alot of neat ways to automate many other devices.