Answered

Do Alexa Routines work through Sonos One?

• 28 October 2017
  • 19 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3
My “Start my day” routine isn’t triggering. Wondering if others got routines to work through a One.
icon

Best answer by Master T 29 October 2017, 16:58

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

19 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4
No it appears yet another feature of Alexa does not work with the sonos one.
Userlevel 6
Badge +9
Alexa Routines (which are distinct from SmartThings routines) are a very new feature and it's not surprising to me that they are not yet available on the Sonos One. You also cannot, as yet, add a Sonos One as an 'Alexa-Enabled Device' to an Alexa group either, but that feature was only added to the app a few days ago. Based on the comments sprinkled throughout the forum, I believe we can expect most of these features to become available over time, but being an early adopter sometimes requires as extra dose of patience.
Any updates on this, I see from the dates above this was an issue 11 months ago. I have the same issue now, I have a Sonos Ones and routines don’t list a device
I’m experiencing the same issue.
Agreed
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Yes, I've got a routine to work on a Sonos One. It didn't work at first because I'd called it Good night, one of the names suggested by the Alexa app. When I changed it to Night night it worked. Maybe try changing the name of the routine.
Master T, I am totally ok being an early adopter. We all love Sonos products, and bought this to integrate Alexa capabilities into our favourite audio. My question is, is Amazon/Sonos planning on bringing One up to parity with Amazon Alexa devices, or is the plan to always have it as an "audio-focused" version of Alexa, without a lot of features that make Alexa great?

In essence, I am wondering whether I should keep the One, or buy Play 5s and a few Echo dots instead...
Userlevel 6
Badge +9
If you browse support on Amazon for the various Alexa features, you will note that some (like Alexa Routines) are said to be available on both Amazon hardware and 'Alexa-Enabled Devices,' while some features (like drop-in calling) currently reference only Amazon hardware. My expectation is that Sonos will work towards enabling all relevant features that Amazon will allow them enable, but I don't think the Sonos One can or ever will achieve 100% parity. And one can only guess at Sonos' priorities in terms of which features will be added first based on their comments posted in this forum.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Thanks all. I can live without Routines for now. I would really like Sonos to support the Alexa Groups feature though. I purchased a DOT for one room with a Sonos:5, and have found it a pain that I always have to reference "in kitchen" to get things to play through the Sonos Speaker. What I would prefer is that the DOT never makes sound and it always talks through the Sonos:5 in the Kitchen only.
You also cannot, as yet, add a Sonos One as an 'Alexa-Enabled Device' to an Alexa group either, but that feature was only added to the app a few days ago. Based on the comments sprinkled throughout the forum, I believe we can expect most of these features to become available over time, but being an early adopter sometimes requires as extra dose of patience.

It looks as if currently, only Echos are enabled to be added to groups, even though the title says Alexa-Enabled. Fire TVs, Fire Tablets, nor my phone are available to add to groups.
Userlevel 6
Badge +9
It looks as if currently, only Echos are enabled to be added to groups, even though the title says Alexa-Enabled. Fire TVs, Fire Tablets, nor my phone are available to add to groups.

That was exactly my point. It's a very new feature that appears to be intended to support a variety of 'Alexa-enabled devices' like the Sonos One. But even for such features, I think we can expect delays between Amazon's implementation and the feature becoming available on the One.
Badge
facing the same thing here. Routines didnt work on my sonos one and unable to add sonos into alexa groups.
My routines work through the Sonos One, for the most part. Anything that involves a response from Alexa herself, like a scripted response, news flash briefing, weather, etc., does not work through the One when on a routine (but does work if asked directly, “Alexa, what’s the news?”). Other Smart Home features work fine. Seems as if Amazon needs to recognize the Sonos as an Alexa speaker, not just Alexa enabled.
Wondering if there's any updated news about success with Routines. I just combined a pair of Sonos One speakers with my Echo, and was able to use voice control on the Sonos to activate "Alexa, Good Morning." But the "Alexa, Start My Day" routine, which is supposed to play weather and a news podcast, produces no response from either Sonos speaker. ("Start My Day" still works as expected on the Echo.) Both Sonos speakers are identified in the Alex app; Is it possible it will work if I say "Alexa, Start My Day in the Living Room" or "Alexa, Start My Day in the Master Bedroom?"
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Wondering if there's any updated news about success with Routines. I just combined a pair of Sonos One speakers with my Echo, and was able to use voice control on the Sonos to activate "Alexa, Good Morning." But the "Alexa, Start My Day" routine, which is supposed to play weather and a news podcast, produces no response from either Sonos speaker. ("Start My Day" still works as expected on the Echo.) Both Sonos speakers are identified in the Alex app; Is it possible it will work if I say "Alexa, Start My Day in the Living Room" or "Alexa, Start My Day in the Master Bedroom?"

Not yet no 😞
FWIW, I tried it again this morning, just asking Alexa to "play my Flash Briefing" instead of "Start My Day" -- and it worked. :?
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
All this equally applies to the Beam now. Be good for Sonos to support stuff like Routines on the new devices.
Just my additional two cents, it's not just a matter of Sonos doing the development to support various Alexa features that can be done on echos. Obviously, the Sonos hardware has to be correct to support the feature. As well, Amazon can decide that it doesn't want to allow third party Alexa enabled devices to implement certain features.

From what I've seen though, I think Sonos and Amazon have a pretty good relationship. I think Amazon may be content to let Sonos be the 'high-end' version of echo. As well, I think competition between Amazon and Google could push along features on Sonos products. We'll see.
+1 Got a couple of these for Christmas for our house but probably won't expand my usage of them until I can replace some of my echo devices (meaning routines work on the Sonos One).