Disabling Spotify Autoplay for Sonos

Userlevel 1
Badge
This question was asked a couple times a few months ago by others, but since I didn't see a response from anyone at Sonos, I thought I'd try again. When I ask Sonos to play a song (via Spotify) it plays the song and then it keeps playing other songs by other artists. In other words, even though I've disabled "Autoplay" in the Spotify app, the end result is the same as if Autoplay is enabled. When I ask my Echo Dot to play a song, it only plays the one song, which seems to indicate the problem is on Sonos's end--not Alexa.

I even tried adding the Echo Dot to my Sonos "Living Room" group in the Alexa app and using the Sonos as the Preferred Speaker. But even this doesn't work -- the Echo Dot correctly plays the music on the Sonos, but with Autoplay enabled.

Is this a recognized bug, and does Sonos have any plans to fix it?

Thank you.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23
There are many ways to "ask Sonos to play a song via Spotify", could you please be specific about exactly what you are saying?
Userlevel 1
Badge
Fair point. I say "Alexa, play [song name]." Spotify is set as my default music service.
I thought disabling Autoplay on Spotify did feed through to my Sonos, but I no longer have Spotify in order to check.

What happens if you ssy ' play (song name) from Spotify '? I know it's your default but this sort of thing can change behaviour.

Other stock things to try would be removing Spotify from Sonos then readding, or dissbling snd re-enabling the Sonos skill for Alexa (although I doubt the last of these will help here).
Userlevel 1
Badge
What happens if you ssy ' play (song name) from Spotify '? I know it's your default but this sort of thing can change behaviour.

Other stock things to try would be removing Spotify from Sonos then readding, or dissbling snd re-enabling the Sonos skill for Alexa (although I doubt the last of these will help here).

Tried all of the above with unfortunately the same result. I’m curious to hear if other Spotify users experience the same issue.
Does the same happen when you make the request through the Sonos app instead of by voice? if so, you might try removing and re-enabling spotify and Sonos and/or on Alexa. Perhaps there is something cached.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Does the same happen when you make the request through the Sonos app instead of by voice? if so, you might try removing and re-enabling spotify and Sonos and/or on Alexa. Perhaps there is something cached.It doesn't autoplay if I manually make the request through the Sonos app. It only happens with voice command via Alexa.

I have to imagine there are a ton of people who use Spotify with a Sonos One. Is this working correctly for others?
A further thought... do you have the Spotify skill for Alexa enabled? I was never really sure whether Alexa was launching play from Spotify Connect or the 'Spotify within Sonos' implementation. I don't know if that makes any difference?
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
There are other Sonos skills for Alexa that do not do this.
I have the exact same issue. Asking Sonos One "Play song [songname]" results in the song being played, then the Spotify Song radio station continues playing after the song finishes. Only happens when using voice command, not when playing song by any other method or on any other Alexa device.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I have the exact same issue. Asking Sonos One "Play song [songname]" results in the song being played, then the Spotify Song radio station continues playing after the song finishes. Only happens when using voice command, not when playing song by any other method or on any other Alexa device.Thank you! I was hoping someone else would speak up about this. I really hope Sonos responds to this thread with a solution or at least an acknowledgment that they are looking into the issue.
I have the exact same issue. Asking Sonos One "Play song [songname]" results in the song being played, then the Spotify Song radio station continues playing after the song finishes. Only happens when using voice command, not when playing song by any other method or on any other Alexa device.Thank you! I was hoping someone else would speak up about this. I really hope Sonos responds to this thread with a solution or at least an acknowledgment that they are looking into the issue.
There is no issue, that's how Alexa works. Ask Amazon, if you don't believe me.
Userlevel 1
Badge
There is no issue, that's how Alexa works. Ask Amazon, if you don't believe me.I'm not looking to start a debate here, but that's not how Alexa works, Smilja. As both thejoist and I pointed out, if you ask Alexa to play a song on Spotify through something other than a Sonos One (for example, an Echo Dot), it plays one song and then stops.
There is no issue, that's how Alexa works. Ask Amazon, if you don't believe me.I'm not looking to start a debate here, but that's not how Alexa works, Smilja. As both thejoist and I pointed out, if you ask Alexa to play a song on Spotify through something other than a Sonos One (for example, an Echo Dot), it plays one song and then stops.
Why don't you ask Spotify or Amazon for assistance or explanation? Sonos is not responsible for this.
Getting exactly the same issue. Amazon Music doesn’t so it, Spotify does.
Badge
I hate this too. The same thing happens with Google Assistant & Spotify, btw. It also happens when using Google Assistant & Spotify on my phone, without the Sonos speakers.

Why don't you ask Spotify or Amazon for assistance or explanation? Sonos is not responsible for this.

same thing happens to my sonos one. unlike my echo dot which only plays the specific song I requested, alexa on the sonos one keeps playing other songs from other playlists. only happens with the sonos one with alexa though. echo dot does not do that so I'm guessing it's something sonos has to look into.