Answered

Device offline or just not responding via alexa (5.1 set up)

Badge
Recently switched my sonos 1's for ones in a 5.1 surround. Both ones set up as different alexa areas to differentiate. Every thing is setting up and adding as it should and working as it should via the controller. But I cannot get anything to play in/on my living room which is the surround set up via alexa.
I've scrolled through most of the threads on here tried forgetting devices and re adding, I've tried re naming, I've disabled and enabled the skill several times nothing seems to be working. Also If I start music in a bedroom on the app and then ask alexa to play something in the same room it doesn't override the app, nothing happens.
icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 5 June 2019, 22:24

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Recently switched my sonos 1's for ones in a 5.1 surround. Both ones set up as different alexa areas to differentiate.
What do you mean by 'alexa area'?

Every thing is setting up and adding as it should and working as it should via the controller. But I cannot get anything to play in/on my living room which is the surround set up via alexa.

Other alexa commands are working correctly, right? Can you give an example of a command you're using to play music in the living room? Is nothing happening or is Alexa telling you an error occurred?

I've scrolled through most of the threads on here tried forgetting devices and re adding, I've tried re naming, I've disabled and enabled the skill several times nothing seems to be working. Also If I start music in a bedroom on the app and then ask alexa to play something in the same room it doesn't override the app, nothing happens.

What music service account are you using? My first guess would be that you don't have the same music service accounts setup in Sonos and Alexa apps. The services need to match.
Badge
Hi, different alexa areas as in one sonos one alexa is named alexa living room and the other sonos one named alexa kitchen in the alexa app.

Tried a few different commands, play 'artist' play 'radio' play in living room, play on sonos. I either get the standard reply as if it's working fine, or speakers offline.

Just a note when I go into living room on my alexa desktop ui. This should be 1 sub 1 playbar and 2 x one's as set up on the sonos app buy I only get one serial.
Badge
Using Spotify which I always have and works fine all over the house and via the controller.
cmttn,

What type of main Sonos device are you using for your Home Theatre, is it a Sonos Beam/PlayBar, or PlayBase?
Badge
Playbar
cmttn,

In the Alexa App device list, what do you see when you click on "living room" and look at the first level settings? Do you see the Alexa devices?

Also in the Sonos App Room Settings for Living Room do you see the Alexa voice service installed there?
Userlevel 5
Badge +5
I believe when you create a surround setup in Sonos, Alexa treats the whole setup (playbar + 2 Ones) as a single speaker. I don't think you can address them individually.

Btw, changing your play:1s to Ones was pointless. Sonos automatically disables the microphones on surround speakers.
I believe when you create a surround setup in Sonos, Alexa treats the whole setup (playbar + 2 Ones) as a single speaker. I don't think you can address them individually.

Btw, changing your play:1s to Ones was pointless. Sonos automatically disables the microphones on surround speakers.

Just to add the Alexa mic's on the bonded surrounds are not disabled when used with the PlayBar, or Playbase. They’re only disabled when used with a Sonos Beam.

Just to also add however, that the option to stream an Airplay source to the Sonos Ones, when they are used as surrounds, is disabled/unavailable.
Userlevel 5
Badge +5
Thanks Ken for the correction! Makes sense about not disabling mics when connecting thru a Playbar/base
Badge
Hi, when I look at living room settings via the desktop alexa I get very little I firnayion just one serial number. The alexa part of the ones both have separate device names and are both listed.

Everything is working fine, both ones respond and work as in pausing or stopping music I have played using the app. They play fine using the app, the surrounds work as they should. They just won't play anything using alexa commands. I've also tried radio which plays via a different service to spottify that also wont work. I co trole lots of differant thi gs in my home, like lights ext using alexa, all working fine through the new ones.

In the sonos app I see alexa voice services wprking in living room.

Did you resolve this? As I’m having the exact same issue! :(

Did you resolve this? As I’m having the exact same issue! :(

Assuming you are referring to the Alexa installation on your HT surrounds with a Sonos PlayBar or Playbase, have you tried removing the assistant from the HT room in “Settings/Services/Voice” in the Sonos App and then going back there to reinstall the service again?