Device offline

• 13 April 2019
  • 10 replies

I bought the Sonos one in December 2017, telling everyone what a fantastic product this is, how wrong was I.
3 months later it keeps telling me “this device is offline” when I ask Alexa to play anything. I have reinstalled everything, rebooted everything, disconnected everything, reconnected everything, but still no joy.
Sonos sort this out please it’s embarrassing what I read on these forums.....you should be ashamed.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

1. Go to your Sonos app and remove voice services from the room settings
  2. Disable the Sonos Skill in the Alexa app
  3. Go to the following page on a web browser: https://alexa.amazon.com
  4. Then go to Smart Home > Devices > Scroll to the bottom and click Forget All
  5. Go back to the Sonos app and configure voice services
Where is Sonos skill ?
Where is Sonos skill ?
In the Sonos app under the room settings of the ONE.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Normally a device that is shown as off-line has lost connectivity to the cloud. Can you please power down the device for 5 secs and then allow to complete the boot sequence.
Tried that already, not worked
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Sorry for the long post but this type of issue is normally down to one of three things:

1/ Duplicate device names - Alexa prefers that names for Devices, Groups and Scenes are unique,
1.1/ Please open up the Alexa App>Smart Home and make a note of any duplicate device names;
1.2/ You can then change them in the source app. e.g. Use the Sonos App to change the name of Sonos players. (I personally use the naming standard Room Name + Device type. e.g. Kitchen Sonos, Kitchen Echo Dot, Lounge Sonos, etc)
1.3/ Once you have changed any duplicate names then please In the Sonos app, select Settings>Room Settings and for each of the Sonos One's sign into 'Voice Services' and select 'Remove Amazon Alexa from this Room';
1.4/ In the Alexa app, select the Alexa Icon in the centre of the row of Icons at the bottom of the screen and ask ‘Alexa, Discover Devices’.
1.5/ Here is a link to my naming standards: https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/best-practices-for-naming-of-devices-6819283/index1.html

2/ Some form of Account Linking or Authorisation has not completed successfully. There are a number of causes for this and it's best to try these steps 1 at a time and test before moving on to the next step if the problem persists:
2.1/ Open the Alexa App>Skills>Your Skills>Sonos and 'Disable' followed by 'Enable';
2.2/ Ensure that you don't have multiple Amazon accounts logged into different Apps on your device, as this can confuse the Amazon Authorisation. If yes, then please log out of the other accounts and then complete step 2.1 again;
2.3/ If the problem still persists, please logout of all Amazon accounts then select the Alexa App>Skills>Your Skills>Sonos and 'Disable. Now power down all Sonos devices for 10 secs, allowing for any wired devices to boot before booting the remaining Sonos players. Now log back into the Alexa App>Skills>Sonos and 'Enable'

3/ If the problem persists then an entire reset of the Authorisation & Account Linking process is required:
3.1/ In the Alexa app, select Skills>Your Skills>Sonos and then 'Disable';
3.2 In the Alexa app, select ‘Devices>All Devices'. Now select each Sonos Device in turn and click the Trash Can in the top right of the screen;
3.3/ In the Sonos app, select Settings>Room Settings and for each of the Sonos One's sign into 'Voice Services' and select 'Remove Amazon Alexa from this Room';
3.4/ If you have any wired Sonos devices, please power down for 10 secs and then switch on and wait for it to boot;
3.5/ Now power down all other Sonos Players for 10 secs then switch them back on and wait for them to boot;
3.6/ In the Sonos app, Select Manage>Add a player or sub' and add the Sonos One's again. This will complete the set-up process again;
3.7/ In the Alexa app, select Skills>Your Skills and ensure the Sonos skill is 'Enabled', if not please 'Enable';
3.8/ In the Alexa app, select the Alexa Icon in the centre of the row of Icons at the bottom of the screen and ask ‘Alexa, Discover Devices’. Ensure that your Sonos One's are displayed correctly and not shown as 'Off Line'.
3.9/ Also check one last time that there are no devices with the same name. Remember, if there is a need to rename any then you'll need to carry out step 3.8 again.

Let us know how you get on.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I bought the Sonos one in December 2017, telling everyone what a fantastic product this is, how wrong was I.
3 months later it keeps telling me “this device is offline” when I ask Alexa to play anything. I have reinstalled everything, rebooted everything, disconnected everything, reconnected everything, but still no joy.
Sonos sort this out please it’s embarrassing what I read on these forums.....you should be ashamed.

Also, please appreciate that Sonos sold 6.9M units in 2018 - now compare that to the number of people stating that they have problems on the forum. Sonos isn't doing badly really! 🙂
Thanks, all working now, I owe you one
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
So tell us: what part of your speaker was broken? In what way should Sonos be ashamed of itself? 😃
So tell us: what part of your speaker was broken? In what way should Sonos be ashamed of itself? :D
The connection to Amazon Web Services has been lost.