Could someone try playing Kool Oldies 104.3 on Sonos for me?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Could someone try something for me? There is a radio station we listen to called Kool Oldies 104.3. If I ask an Alexa device to play the station the music plays immediately. If I ask a Sonos One speaker to play the station it responds stating that the station isn’t available right now. Do you get the same thing or is it just me? I deal with this issue quite often and I have no idea why it happens. Latest updates have been installed and just went through the entire reset process just 2 days ago. Thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

“Kool Oldies” played for me. In a pinch ask for “Radio W282AW”.

Userlevel 7

It works for me on my Sonos One.

Try unplugging the One from power for a couple of minutes and rebooting your router. You can also try disabling and re-enabling the Sonos skill in the Alexa app or deleting and re-adding TuneIn in the Sonos app.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks for checking. The location is set to my location, but the station I’m trying to play is about 2 hours from me. As I said though the station plays right away on Alexa devices, but is unavailable on the Sonos devices. I removed the Tunein account and re-added it back but with the same result. I played the station from the web so the station is up.

I just tried to navigate to Tunein → Maryland → Salisbury and chose Kool Oldies 104.3 and it started playing on my Sonos speaker. The problem is I’m not hearing any music, but I am hearing ads. I am now on my 12th ad in a row. It seems to me the music is not being played so they then throw an ad instead. As I said the Alexa plays the station right away.

I made a post the other day about the whole resetting thing. I am really frustrated in the amount of time you have to spend constantly having to disable and re-enable the skills.Deleting and re-adding the speakers back. I let my speakers run. I don’t change anything. What is wrong with my specific systems, and my brothers, where you have to constantly go through this time consuming process?

Ads are still playing on the Sonos for 104.3.

Sorry for being edgy, but this goes on too often to actually make the speakers usable. It shouldn’t break this often.

I see an issue: “Z104.3” is a TuneIn Salt Lake City station. “Z104.3” is a Baltimore iHeart station. Sometimes when I ask I’ll get “Q104.3” from New York City. Try asking for “WZFT”.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks Buzz for checking. WZFT played but it’s a rap station. The station we play is Kool Oldies 104.3 & 105.1 which is an oldies station.

If you could ask it to play “Kool Oldies 104.3 & 105.1” This is a station on Tunein in Salsibury Maryland.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks Buzz. Good tip.

I just tried again with your suggestion. “Play W282AW from Tunein” and I received the message “Playing Kool Oldies 104.3 & 105.1 from Tunein. Kool Oldies 104.3 & 105.1 from Tunein isn’t available right now.”

So this is what we have:

It works for GuitarSuperstar

It works for Buzz

It works on any of my Amazon devices.

It does not work from any of my Sonos devices.

It does not work from my Alexa devices to my Sonos devices.

I have deleted Alexa from the Sonos app and Sonos from the Alexa app (same thing I imagine) and didn’t do anything. I then removed the Tunein account from Sonos app multiple times and still doesn’t work.

Also, on a side note I went in and setup static mappings for my Bridge and 3 Sonos speakers as a post suggested the other day. Unplugged all Sonos devices to get the new IP mappings.

One more thing, I started this testing today because I had to reset my brothers Sonos devices the other day because one of his Sonos speakers was showing offline. You could still Ask Alexa to play music from it, but you couldn’t do it from other devices. Deleted everything and everything was working fine at his house. Found out today that Kool Oldies was not working so I tested it on mine. Kool Oldies is not working on my system either.

Just don’t understand why it works on Amazon devices but not the Sonos devices.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Is it the station with call letters WOCQ? When I used the text search for WOCQ it shows up under both Sonos Radio and TuneIn, with the penguin logo.  Text search for Kool Oldies finds it under Tunein but not under Sonos Radio. Try asking for WOCQ?

Is this a new issue today? There were some major issues with some DNS servers today. It’s possible that your Alexa device is using a different path and this issue will go away after a while.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Is it the station with call letters WOCQ? When I used the text search for WOCQ it shows up under both Sonos Radio and TuneIn, with the penguin logo.  Text search for Kool Oldies finds it under Tunein but not under Sonos Radio. Try asking for WOCQ?

WOCQ did not work. It responded exactly the same as “Playing Kool Oldies 104.3 & 105.1 from Tunein. Kool Oldies 104.3 & 105.1 from Tunein isn’t available right now.” Thanks though. Each time I get excited thinking something new will work :) Works from Amazon devices though.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Is this a new issue today? There were some major issues with some DNS servers today. It’s possible that your Alexa device is using a different path and this issue will go away after a while.

Like I said my brother was having issues asking for music to be played from Amazon to Sonos speakers. I went into the Alexa app and it showed his speaker offline. I did the normal disable and re-enable of the skill. Even deleted the speaker all together. Everything was showing in the Alexa as online. Did not test this specific channel. This channel was definitely working prior to the reset because he would have told me. He listens to it every single day.

So I heard it wasn’t working and before going up to his house to work on it I said let me see if the station plays on my system thinking it might be down. Nope. The station won’t play for me either. I am assuming he gets the same message.

All these devices are on the same subnet. I have tested other stations and they all work but this one is not. Is there a clear cache setting on the Sonos?

Userlevel 1
Badge

I don’t know what to say at this point. I am mentally spent. I have spent probably 6 hours fooling with this Sonos stuff. Mine is still not playing Kool Oldies.I don’t care because I don’t listen to it. I was just using it as testing. Why that station plays on an Echo speaker but no Sonos I have no clue and as I said I don’t care at this point.

I went up my brothers to see what his current status is. He had an Echo speaker in the garage because he said nothing was working. All the Echo devices are working fine. It’s the integration with Sonos that’s the problem. When I ask Alexa on his garage Sonos speaker, named garage, to play Kool Oldies blah blah it says “that device is offline.” But yet if I ask the Sonos device Alexa the score of the Phillies game it responds no problem. If I go inside and I ask Alexa on an Amazon speaker to play music on the Sonos garage speaker the music plays fine. So let me say this to be clear. Alexa will not play music on the Sonos one directly but music can be played from an Echo device? Does that make any sense whatsoever? My brother is completely disgusted, as I am, and said I’m just buying Echo devices from now on. I don’t blame him. So in the meantime he has to use the Echo devices to control the Sonos devices.

The funny thing is Kool Oldies works at his house just fine. He lives in the same neighborhood. Of of course we can only get it to play from an Echo device on the Sonos device. His second Sonos won’t play anything either or will not play music on the other Sonos device. Whatever I don’t know what I’m even saying anymore.

I think this is a naming issue so let me ask this and hopefully this is easier:

How can I reset Sonos completely and to start fresh? This is a naming issue. I need to make sure Alexa doesn’t hold onto the old names. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Userlevel 7

Have you tried unplugging the One from power for a couple of minutes and rebooting your router yet?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks for the response. I restarted all the Sonos speakers when I set the Sonos speakers IP addresses statically. I just restarted my router. Now when I try to play Kool Oldies from any of the Sonos speakers themselves or an Echo device playing it on a Sonos device it says that Alexa is playing the station but nothing happens. Just silence. I don’t get the error I was getting before about the station being offline or whatever the error was at this point. While something is not right here I don’t care because that station is only not playing on the Sonos speakers at my house.

What I do care about is what I referenced above about the situation at my brothers house. He is all messed up. How can I reset the entire Sonos/Alexa App configuration and start fresh? In the end, whatever the problem is I’m limited to what app allows me to do. It’s not like I went in there and wrote custom code. The software should not allow this to happen. Anyway. Thanks.