Controlling Play 5 with Alexa Echo

• 6 January 2022
  • 7 replies

• Contributor I
  • 2 replies

I have recently purchased a play five. I added it to my Sonos account and all worked fine. For the first time I tried to use an Alexa Device to control the music streaming onto the Play five via tree Alexa. I updated all the software then went through the instructions to add Alexa skills which it seemed to do but when in Alexa it just cannot recognise the play five device. I have deleted the Sonos and Alexa apps from the iPad and reinstalled from iTunes and reset up the Alexa and play five but cannot I seem to resolve. They work fine individually the five being controlled from the Sonos S2 app and the the Alexa accessing Spotify from voice commands and streaming through the Alexa device but cannot get them linked. 

All thoughts and help appreciated 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Have you set up an Alexa group with the Echo Dot as the Echo device and the Play:5 in the group and also set as the Preferred Speaker?

Firstly thank you very much for the response. 

I can set up a new group the challenge is I cannot get the Alexa app to ‘find’ the Play five, I keep going into the Sonos app and setting up a new voice service - Amazon Alexa - and that seem to work but the play five never appears as a device in the Alexa app to even put in a group 

thanks again

I can set up a new group the challenge is I cannot get the Alexa app to ‘find’ the Play five, I keep going into the Sonos app and setting up a new voice service - Amazon Alexa - and that seem to work but the play five never appears as a device in the Alexa app to even put in a group 

thanks again

Maybe check that you have these few things in place…

• You need to link the ‘Sonos Skill’ to your Amazon Alexa Account and accept the sharing agreement with your current Sonos Account (that’s the same Sonos account credentials that the Sonos System is registered with).
  • You also need a paid subscription to a music service that is set as the default service in the Alexa App, such as Amazon Music, Deezer etc.
  • That same music service needs to also be installed in the Sonos App with the same login credentials.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

thanks again

After you have enabled the Sonos skill, can you ask 'Alexa discover devices'. Your Play:5 should then appear in the Alexa App.

Thank you for your response; 

i have tried this and after several seconds the answer is always “no devices found” . For some reason the play five cannot be found in the Alexa app or by Alexa 

Is the Sonos Skill installed and shown as enabled?

@CBUE
Can you perhaps screenshot and post your Amazon Alexa device list too. Oh and what is the name of your Sonos speaker and the Amazon echo device?