• 18 May 2018
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +8
https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3439?language=en_US
icon

Best answer by UKMedia 18 May 2018, 10:48

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

I read that Sonos can be activated via voice - Alexa. I assumed that all one needed to do was to download the Amazon Alexa app (which I had done). I enabled the Sonos skill on the Amazon Alexa app and I ensured both accounts were logged-in. But when I searched for the Sonos device it isn't recognised/ wasn't located.

All the information online is misleading. I've tried a few things but I am of the belief that one must buy an Amazon Alexa product such as the Echo or Dot in order for the Sonos to action what is interpretted by Alexa via the Amazon product. I.e. you can't just use the Amazon Alexa app and expect to connect the app to the Sonos product.

Can anyone assist and shine a light on this? I wish all the information was clearer. E.g. in order for Sonos to be instructed by Alexa you must purchase an Amazon Alexa product and connect this product to the app.

In essence, I now have to fork out for an Amazon Alexa product which I don't want just to Sonos can work via Alexa!

Thanks all.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi

You need to either have a Sons One, with Alexa built in, or an Amazon product (like an Echo device) otherwise you will have no microphone in your system to hear the voice command.
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
It is possible to have a degree of control over a Sonos speaker without an Alexa device. I can send music to my Play 1 from the Spotify app on my iPad. I can also select a music source from within the Alexa app on my iPad, for example a TuneIn favourite, and play direct to my Play 1. Obviously, the degree of control is limited without spoken commands.
To me, it is kind of common sense that one would have to "buy an Alexa product" to get Sonos to work with Alexa. As stated, you need an Echo product (Echo, Echo dot, etc) or an Alexa enabled product (Sonos One, Amazon Fire tablet, Fire TV).