Answered

Connected to Echo Dot group room disconnect

• 9 November 2018
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I have an dot connected to a play 5, ive just noticed that if im playing a group of speakers and i ask the Dot connected to the play 5 a question, then it disconnects the speaker from the group, hence my music then stops from the play 5! Anyone else aware of this? Any fix/workaround planned?
icon

Best answer by jgatie 9 November 2018, 20:41

Yes thats how its set up, so is it better to use play 5 and dot without the cable?

That is up to you. Not cabled means only the music comes out of the Play:5, Alexa's replies come out of the Dot. So it is subjective. What is not subjective is you should either cable it and disable the Alexa skill, or not cable it and enable the Alexa skill. But not both.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have an dot connected to a play 5, ive just noticed that if im playing a group of speakers and i ask the Dot connected to the play 5 a question, then it disconnects the speaker from the group, hence my music then stops from the play 5! Anyone else aware of this? Any fix/workaround planned?

Hi Surfer,

It sounds like you have the Echo connected to your Play:5 via its line-in cable. When you are using the Echo, the line-in autoplay causes the Play:5 to leave its group. You can change the setting in the Sonos app under advanced settings to include grouped rooms on autoplay, but this will stop the music from playing. You may wish to connect your Echo to your Sonos system without using the line-in cable. This would allow you to specify the room you want to command with the Echo, but the audio for the Echo would come out of the Dot instead of the Play:5. Here's how to set up your Dot with Sonos while not using the line-in cable.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Yes thats how its set up, so is it better to use play 5 and dot without the cable?

That is up to you. Not cabled means only the music comes out of the Play:5, Alexa's replies come out of the Dot. So it is subjective. What is not subjective is you should either cable it and disable the Alexa skill, or not cable it and enable the Alexa skill. But not both.