Answered

Changing Alexa name

• 28 October 2017
  • 28 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
Can one change "ALEXA Name" to "Computer" I'm able to change in echo dot but will not allow me on Sonos One

Should of said wake word to computer

Thx

Michel
icon

Best answer by alertmyiphone 28 October 2017, 04:49

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

28 replies

Userlevel 1
The only reason I'm using Amazon's system is because I can make the wake word Computer like in Star Trek. If I can't do it on the One I'll just have to go back to the dot and crappy bluetooth speaker. 😞
same here... have seven Alexa devices using Echo... was going to replace some of them with sonos ones as I also have several sonos speakers... bought my first one and found this issue. Guess I stop buying them.
Userlevel 3
Sonos page indicating you cannot change the wake work on a Sonos speaker. I did not see this before purchasing and must have researched changing the wake word on a regular Amazon Alexa type device (such as an Echo): https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3517?language=en_US&utm_medium=sonosone-setup&utm_source=cr-care&utm_content=english-cr-care-sonosone-setup

What commands can I use with Sonos?
Not supported...
Changing the Sonos One or Beam wake word
Userlevel 3
My daughter’s name is Alexa. Same problem here. I have to turn off the microphone which is why I purchased voice activated to begin with. I wish this was more prominently displayed on Sonos page before purchase. I generally researched the wake word could be changed on an alexa device (such as an Echo) but didn’t think to validate this would not hold true on a sonos alexa-enabled device.
Just bought the Beam and I love it, except that I can't change Alexa's name. I'm very surprised that this request is now a year old by some people and it still hasn't been addressed. All of my other Echo devices in my flat are activated by Echo and not Alexa. This should not be any different.
Userlevel 6
Badge +9
My Wife's name is Alexa. I asked about this feature before I purchased and was assured over chat that it was imminent. That was months ago. What is happening with this request?

I'm not sure who you asked, but to my knowledge Sonos has never said this feature was imminent. Until recently, Amazon's licensing agreement for Sonos prohibited the use of any wake word other than "Alexa."

With that said, I am optimistic that we'll see a change in this at some point, but how soon is anybody's guess. Sonos rarely provides estimated delivery dates for added features.
Userlevel 2
Badge
One of my daughters is called Alexa and whenever we mention her (in the kitchen where our Sonos One's are located) Amazon Alexa pipes up. I changed our 'Wake Word' for our Amazon Echo for the same reason but this doesn't seem to be an option for Sonos One - VERY ANNOYING.
My Wife's name is Alexa. I asked about this feature before I purchased and was assured over chat that it was imminent. That was months ago. What is happening with this request?
+1 to this thread as well -- I have an Echo Dot (using Echo as word) and two Sonos One's. It's extremely annoying to have to use different words in different rooms for the same functions. I have 4 other Sonos Play:1's and PlayBar, but I don't want to upgrade these until there is some sort of fix for this. I really do not want to use Alexa as the wake word. Thanks.
My son’s name is Alexander! I really would like to keep my Sonos One but it is driving our family insane. PLEASE implement the feature for changing the wake word. It is unacceptable to not allow such basic feature available across Echo products for years.
At least tell us why this is not possible, or that your are working on it for a future release or SOMETHING!
I need this too. I wanna call her "Computer" so I get to feel like I'm on a starship. Surely that's enough of a reason??
Just upgraded my entire first-gen Sonos system. My entire house is now filled with 9 Sonos devices, including (4) Play:5s and the SUB and 7 echos, just grabbed a Sonos One and wake word lock is a deal breaker. I have 16 days before I have to return this pile AND I WILL. Hey Sonos, if you don’t want a $4200 return and the loss of a long term (10 years) loyal customer and advocate... just ignore this thread for a couple more weeks. 🙂
Badge +4
+1 for the ability to change the wake word.
Agree need to update ONE to allow wake word, otherwise, no need to pay more money to have this built in, rather just buy a Dot and control SONOS through the Dot
This really has to change immediately. In addition to having people with the name Alexa around, our household pet is named Alexo and we frequently give him commands. Alexa constantly get confused. We just got the Sonos Alexa device and it will need to go back to the store if you don't update the software within the next couple weeks. I know the technogeeks/engineers will think this a big ask, but it's just a simple make-or-break update. Please hurry - I don't really want to return the device.
It's possible it's a restriction imposed currently by Amazon.
Userlevel 2
Ability to change the wake word should have been part of the minimum viable product. I expect better from Sonos.
My wholehearted support for this request. We received a Sonos One for Christmas even though my brother did not know we have six Sonos devices already. We should love it, right? Unfortunately, no, we don’t. First, aFter five frustrating days of Alexa responding when we talk about it in casual conversation, I went to find how to change it to Echo. Jeez!! Really?? You can’t change it on a Sonos product?? And second, even before that realization, I discovered it doesn’t work with Napster, which we have used as long as we have Sonos (over 12 years). We’re on the verge of returning this product. I never thought I’d say that about a Sonos product.
Also requesting this feature, its essential
We also have an Alexa in the house.
Please build a fix for this. I know the dots can be changed, why not a sonos?
Userlevel 1
Need wake word in Sonos 1 to be changed. We have an Alexa in the house and our entire system is named Echo...too much confusion to have it answer to Alexa. Please allow us to change the wake name or will have to return it.
Userlevel 1
Sonos Team - please make this update to be able to change the wake word. My fiance’s Name is Lexie - you can imagine the confusion...
Userlevel 1
This is a bit of a big deal to me, as I already have 4 Amazon Alexa/Echo devices responding to "Computer" throughout the house, and it's too hard to remember that this one room uses a different wake word. I fumble with it constantly.
Please build feature to support change of wake word