Answered

Changing Alexa name

• 28 October 2017
  • 28 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
Can one change "ALEXA Name" to "Computer" I'm able to change in echo dot but will not allow me on Sonos One

Should of said wake word to computer

Thx

Michel
icon

Best answer by alertmyiphone 28 October 2017, 04:49

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

28 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
Sorry found my answer in other post since I had the wrong name

I pickup my answer from:

Ryan S Community Manager 8962 replies 3 days ago
kolby100 wrote:
I heard that you cannot.

This is correct. I'll pass on the request to the team for you though.
I’ll add my full support to this request. My quite specific problem is that I listen to Radio 4 Extra while going to sleep (on a DAB radio, not Sonos as I can pause and rewind). The station is fond of declaring its name between programmes, so whenever Sonos One hears that “... Extra”, Alexa cheerfully wakes up and starts shouting at me for instructions. As I’ve usually drifted off to sleep during that first programme, this is not terribly welcome! Not being able to change the wake word, as I could on the Echo Dot I had in the bedroom previously, means that turning the mic off is the only solution. That rather seems to defeat the object of having it there in the first place (and I don’t always remember to do so at bedtime). Would be good to get this functionality added ASAP. Thanks.
Badge
Help, I need to change wake word. Alexa is activated btythe word BREXIT on my system!
Please build feature to support change of wake word
Userlevel 1
This is a bit of a big deal to me, as I already have 4 Amazon Alexa/Echo devices responding to "Computer" throughout the house, and it's too hard to remember that this one room uses a different wake word. I fumble with it constantly.
Userlevel 1
Sonos Team - please make this update to be able to change the wake word. My fiance’s Name is Lexie - you can imagine the confusion...
Userlevel 1
Need wake word in Sonos 1 to be changed. We have an Alexa in the house and our entire system is named Echo...too much confusion to have it answer to Alexa. Please allow us to change the wake name or will have to return it.
We also have an Alexa in the house.
Please build a fix for this. I know the dots can be changed, why not a sonos?
Also requesting this feature, its essential
My wholehearted support for this request. We received a Sonos One for Christmas even though my brother did not know we have six Sonos devices already. We should love it, right? Unfortunately, no, we don’t. First, aFter five frustrating days of Alexa responding when we talk about it in casual conversation, I went to find how to change it to Echo. Jeez!! Really?? You can’t change it on a Sonos product?? And second, even before that realization, I discovered it doesn’t work with Napster, which we have used as long as we have Sonos (over 12 years). We’re on the verge of returning this product. I never thought I’d say that about a Sonos product.
Userlevel 2
Ability to change the wake word should have been part of the minimum viable product. I expect better from Sonos.
It's possible it's a restriction imposed currently by Amazon.
This really has to change immediately. In addition to having people with the name Alexa around, our household pet is named Alexo and we frequently give him commands. Alexa constantly get confused. We just got the Sonos Alexa device and it will need to go back to the store if you don't update the software within the next couple weeks. I know the technogeeks/engineers will think this a big ask, but it's just a simple make-or-break update. Please hurry - I don't really want to return the device.
Agree need to update ONE to allow wake word, otherwise, no need to pay more money to have this built in, rather just buy a Dot and control SONOS through the Dot
Badge +4
+1 for the ability to change the wake word.
Just upgraded my entire first-gen Sonos system. My entire house is now filled with 9 Sonos devices, including (4) Play:5s and the SUB and 7 echos, just grabbed a Sonos One and wake word lock is a deal breaker. I have 16 days before I have to return this pile AND I WILL. Hey Sonos, if you don’t want a $4200 return and the loss of a long term (10 years) loyal customer and advocate... just ignore this thread for a couple more weeks. 🙂
I need this too. I wanna call her "Computer" so I get to feel like I'm on a starship. Surely that's enough of a reason??
At least tell us why this is not possible, or that your are working on it for a future release or SOMETHING!
My son’s name is Alexander! I really would like to keep my Sonos One but it is driving our family insane. PLEASE implement the feature for changing the wake word. It is unacceptable to not allow such basic feature available across Echo products for years.
+1 to this thread as well -- I have an Echo Dot (using Echo as word) and two Sonos One's. It's extremely annoying to have to use different words in different rooms for the same functions. I have 4 other Sonos Play:1's and PlayBar, but I don't want to upgrade these until there is some sort of fix for this. I really do not want to use Alexa as the wake word. Thanks.
My Wife's name is Alexa. I asked about this feature before I purchased and was assured over chat that it was imminent. That was months ago. What is happening with this request?
Userlevel 2
Badge
One of my daughters is called Alexa and whenever we mention her (in the kitchen where our Sonos One's are located) Amazon Alexa pipes up. I changed our 'Wake Word' for our Amazon Echo for the same reason but this doesn't seem to be an option for Sonos One - VERY ANNOYING.
Userlevel 6
Badge +9
My Wife's name is Alexa. I asked about this feature before I purchased and was assured over chat that it was imminent. That was months ago. What is happening with this request?

I'm not sure who you asked, but to my knowledge Sonos has never said this feature was imminent. Until recently, Amazon's licensing agreement for Sonos prohibited the use of any wake word other than "Alexa."

With that said, I am optimistic that we'll see a change in this at some point, but how soon is anybody's guess. Sonos rarely provides estimated delivery dates for added features.
Just bought the Beam and I love it, except that I can't change Alexa's name. I'm very surprised that this request is now a year old by some people and it still hasn't been addressed. All of my other Echo devices in my flat are activated by Echo and not Alexa. This should not be any different.
Userlevel 3
My daughter’s name is Alexa. Same problem here. I have to turn off the microphone which is why I purchased voice activated to begin with. I wish this was more prominently displayed on Sonos page before purchase. I generally researched the wake word could be changed on an alexa device (such as an Echo) but didn’t think to validate this would not hold true on a sonos alexa-enabled device.