Question

Capabilities. of Sonos search on Amazon

• 13 February 2020
  • 7 replies

Badge +1

I have been puzzled because I search for music through the Sonos app and can’t find it, but when I go to the Amazon app, I find it. Some of the entries I have seen here suggest that you have to select the music in Amazon and download it, or perhaps put it in a playlist in Amazon, and then Sonos will find it. I find that if I search for an artist in Sonos and select that artist, I often don’t see the album I am looking for. But if I search for the album in Amazon, locate it, and then do a search for artist plus album in Sonos it comes up. Very often, I find that the search in Sonos requires great specificity -  like artist plus album or song - in order to work.

Is there some way that I can frame a search in Sonos more effectively, without having to go back and forth to Amazon? 

And while I am here, the Amazon app often provides lyrics and always provides HD info about the track, as well as the actual resolution at which it is playing. Is there anyway to get this info when playing through Sonos?

Thanks.

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

@jk10003 Welcome to the Sonos Community and thank you for reaching out us in the Community with your questions. Please let me know what you are using as the controller when searching the music in the Sonos app for your Amazon service, like a Mac, a PC or a mobile device. When you are searching please provide me screen shots of what you are seeing and getting as results. When you ask about the HD content from your Amazon Music account it will play on Sonos, if you have a Amazon Music account added to your Sonos system that supplies you HD content.

Lastly, I love your idea about having the lyrics show up in the Sonos app like they do in your Amazon music app, but currently it is not an available feature in the Sonos app. I will happily pass this along as a feature request to our engineers.

Badge +1

Hi John G.,

Thanks for your response. It will take me a little while to dig up an example of the Sonos Amazon search. In the meantime

I mostly use the iOS app as a controller, though I have it for Mac OSX. Which reminds me, why is there such a difference between them? The iOS seems easier to use, and more capable. Someday I will make a list of differences.

About HD content, I have an Amazon HD account, and I understand that Sonos will play CD resolution (is that 16 x 44.1?) but no higher. What I was looking for was the display in the Amazon app which shows the level of the recording and the level actually being played. I am attaching a screenshot of that display.

Thanks.

JK

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hi JK, Please follow up with the Amazon search screen shots when you can. As you can see in your screen shot that we currently support the 16-bit/44.1 kHZ and not the 24-bit/48 kHZ format. You can reference our supported audio formats using this link. There is a difference in the features from the Mac OSX, for example, you cannot add players or do a wireless setup that you can do in the mobile iOS controller.

Badge +1

That link is very helpful. Thanks. But the Amazon app has the ability to show me the format of the recording and the format in which it is playing. When I press the button ULTRA HD, it tells me that the recording is 24-bit/48 kHZ and it is playing at 24-bit/48 kHz (this is on my iPhone, not Sonos). I am wondering if I can get that same info (from Sonos or from Amazon), when I am playing it through Sonos. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hi JK, I understand where you are coming from. I will happily add this as another feature request to our engineering team as I would like to see this as a Sonos feature, as well as other customers have mentioned wanting this feature.

I have the same problem. I have attached here two screen shots one on Sonos and second one on Amazon - both done on PC (Windows 10) - for ‘jazz’. Please see the results - Sonos returned ‘nil’ results.

Badge

I have been puzzled because I search for music through the Sonos app and can’t find it, but when I go to the Amazon app, I find it. Some of the entries I have seen here suggest that you have to select the music in Amazon and download it, or perhaps put it in a playlist in Amazon, and then Sonos will find it. I find that if I search for an artist in Sonos and select that artist, I often don’t see the album I am looking for. But if I search for the album in Amazon, locate it, and then do a search for artist plus album in Sonos it comes up. Very often, I find that the search in Sonos requires great specificity -  like artist plus album or song - in order to work.

Is there some way that I can frame a search in Sonos more effectively, without having to go back and forth to Amazon? 

And while I am here, the Amazon app often provides lyrics and always provides HD info about the track, as well as the actual resolution at which it is playing. Is there anyway to get this info when playing through Sonos?

Thanks.

Part of the problem here, for classical music at least, is Amazon. If you search Chicago Symphony, Amazon has indexed that group 20 different ways. Same with composers—they’ve indexed the same person with first name or without, as if they are different composers. 
It’s also true though that albums I can find fairly easily on Amazon don’t turn up on Sonos unless I transcribe the title exactly.