Cant pair new sonos one and play 1!!

• 28 October 2017
  • 17 replies

I just bought the new sonos one to pair with my play 1 in the kitchen, spent an hour on hold, to find out the two won't pair!! You have to throw out the play 1 and by another sonos one. VERY disappointed and not at all clear in all the marketing I got. I have a house full of sonos speakers. Will this be fixed soon in an update??

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Many other threads about this. Sonos' CEO tweeted earlier this week that Sonos is considering adding the ability to pair the two speakers. This isn't a guarantee that it will happen, but our voices have been heard at the top of the company, so they know we want it.
Thank you very much! I called customer service, emailed, and posted about it. Very frustrating, house full of sonos speakers, new to alexis, taking a long time to get this all set up. Not being able to pair sonos one to play one in kitchen was a real shock, plus and hour on hold to find out can't be done... still working on getting alexis up and running to be useful with sonos... not very graceful at all!
The decision to change the sonic signature was short minded. Should have launched it as a companion to the play 1, then do a Play 2 with much upgraded sound (competition..). What happened to the marketing team?

I either buy 4 more Sonos one's or return the one I just got and start the process of re-evaluating my setup, competition is getting heated, defend your install base. (10 play 1's, 4 play 3's, 2 Play 5's, and was thinking on getting 2 TV setups).
No need for the "or the bunny gets it" posts, the CEO has already stated they are considering this feature and to stay tuned.
also as using sonos one, find simple sonos commands such as "group" don't work. very disappointed across the board. looking forward to software updates to make it worth having. considering returning. plus even alexa not working well, ex: no response start sonos via my iphone, requested pandora repeatedly w no response... a dot w a play 1 seems better at this stage
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Hi, it is possible to pair a Sonos One and a Play:1 but you have to use a 3rd party app. I do not want to make any promotion but there are so much threads about this topic... Looks like many of us want to do this:
https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/pairing-a-play-1-with-the-new-sonos-one-6791476/index5.html#post16164099
You can use the official Sonos app after you created the stereo-pair and it works like a "normal" one..
Very disappointed Was told by John Lewis Sonos one and Play 1 would pair I’m thinking of returning Sonos one as pairing two Sonos ones would be silly as don’t need two with Alexa
Badge +1
I really don't know why anyone would want to do this.

Why would you want a pair of speakers that look different?!

Stick your Play:1 on ebay or local selling site and use the money to upgrade, it's what I've been doing.
Userlevel 1
Terry - Why would you want two Alexa units in the same room? You end up paying more for a "pair" but you can only use one sonos to respond for Alexa or other home assistant.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Old thread - but the Sonos One and Play:1 do not match (don't look the same). A Play:1 Tone does look similar to the Sonos One though I guess. Still most people wouldn't want the odd match of exterior not even thinking how the insides are different to.

It would be like pairing a Play:5 gen 1 and a Play:5 gen 2.

But hey - if you want to do it go ahead - at least there is option to do it if someone wants.
Userlevel 1
Chris - Yes, they look pretty close. Agreed there are options. Sonos should have thought about the Sonos Ones being together with Alexa. But then again they sold them at the same price before, so...
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
you can turn off the microphones on the sonos one when not in use and only use one of the speakers as a microphone when you do use alexa . stereo pair is better sound quality than one. plus i own two sonos one's and i use them in my bedroom. the sonos one is newer tech than the play:1 and with get more of the newer features like airplay 2 and google assistant later in 2018 so your not just stuck with alexa
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I think the pair of Sonos One's will be a lot better when they get rid of the darn dong sound when listening. So right now I agree with Dom1da that if I had two in a stereo pair I would probably cut off the microphone on one of them (until they make it so that they don't make the listening noise).
There’s lots of people talking about a third party app but I have my doubts as to whether that will work for adding a stereo pair to a HomeKit scene when that functionality rolls out on the One. As it is I’m going to need to add a One to every room in the house I want HomeKit control. If it’s possible, at least let me have native stereo pairs for that $2000+ outlay. With almost 30 Sonos devices in our home, I think I’ve “paid in” enough for this not to be an unreasonable request. Surely I don’t have to replace every speaker in my home every 3 years?
I'm pretty sure the only functionality being rolled out will be the ability for newer Sonos devices to play Airplay 2 streams. If you are expecting the Sonos One to be a Homekit controller like it does with Alexa, you are more than likely going to be disappointed.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It won’t be a Siri in the speaker controlling HomeKit. But if they are airplay2 speakers then HomeKit can control them (ie play to them). So Siri from phone should control them.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
What would you like them to do techyjim. If it’s showjng up as speakers in the HomeKit app then I beleive they will when they become airplay2 speakers.