Question

Cannot use Alexa to play Spotify on Sonos at all

• 23 November 2017
  • 38 replies

We've got 4 x Sonos Play:1s dotted throughout the house - usually all grouped together. We bought a couple of the Echo Dots under the recent offer, and have subsequently signed up for a trial Spotify account (having previously been using Deezer as our main streaming service). However, we can't get Spotify to play via Sonos at all (had a little success when we first bought the dots a couple of weeks ago but nothing regular and nothing at all now).

So how can I do it? I've made sure that Spotify is the default music app, I've deregistered and reregistered the Sonos skill in the Alexa app to no avail. If I ask Alexa to play something without specifying the room she'll play it on the Echo with no issues (and tells me that she's playing from Spotify). But if I ask her to play something in a certain room (i.e. on a Sonos speaker) she just says 'Sorry - something went wrong'.

Please tell me what I'm doing wrong! It's driving me crazy and we need to make a decision whether we carry on with the Spotify subscription by the end of the month.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

38 replies

Do you use the same email address for Amazon, Spotify and Sonos accounts? I had the same problem so disabled Sonos skill in Alexa App and when enabled again noticed I was using a different email address for Amazon account. Changed this to the same email address as the Spotify account and it worked straight away!!!!!
Userlevel 3
She should be able to play Spotify know - they rolled it out this week
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Just received Sonos with Alexa. Accounts are linked but Alexa still asking me to use skills. There's only so many skills a girl can do! I am still only on the trial for premium Spotify so maybe that might resolve it when fully Spotyfied!

This is normally an indication that you are logged into another Amazon account on another app.
I've got the same issue
Userlevel 2
Same issue here as well
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Ive seen some posts referring to Spotify Premium, maybe it doesn't work with the trial or free version of Spotify only the paid up Premium version.......just guessing.
Userlevel 2
No, I have premium so it should be working. Good idea though.
I have the same issue. Anyone solved this?
Come on Sonos- surely you tested this prior to putting this out? So basic
Exact same issue here. Doing my head in.
Same, I have spotify premium, it will play spotify through the dot, and it is obviously recognizing my sonos as if I say "Alexa, play X in kitchen" (where I have a sonos called Kitchen) it says "Sorry, something went wrong", but if I say "Alexa, play X in bathroom" (where I don't have a sonos called Bathroom) it says I couldn't find anything called Bathroom. Those of you who are having this issue, have you managed to get things to play on your Sonos through Alexa but not using Spotify?
No, I don't. Will try this.
Do you use the same email address for Amazon, Spotify and Sonos accounts? I had the same problem so disabled Sonos skill in Alexa App and when enabled again noticed I was using a different email address for Amazon account. Changed this to the same email address as the Spotify account and it worked straight away!!!!! That worked!

My amazon prime membership is actually in my wifes name so the echo dot was set up using her details, I've now redone it all using my details and Spotify works fine, However I can't request Prime music as that only works if I use her details. Humph....
IT WORKS FOR ME TOO! Sends Schmolliday a big kiss as I have drunk too much Thanksgiving costco port.
had the same issue but all accounts had the same email address. disabling and re-enabling sonos skill fixed it for me. thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
If anyone is still experiencing these problems try reseting your voice control by following the actions I've listed in the answer to this post:

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/sonos-one-not-responding-to-alexa-comands-6793239
Userlevel 3
Can a Sonos employee please confirm if the email addresses all have to be the same for Sonos, Amazon and Spotify? If that's true that just won't work for me as my Amazon/Alexa email is a personal one (for secret present buying etc) and the Sonos is registered to a family email address.
If this is the problem, it makes sense but it's not going to be easy to solve! I think everything is registered differently - we have two echos, and one is registered to each of me and my wife. The Amazon Prime account is in my wife's name, and the Spotify account is in my name. If we register my Amazon account rather than my wife's, this removes the Prime Music (although having Spotify this might not be a problem), and I suppose we could re-register the dots in the same name - but before we go through that shenanigans, I'd like confirmation from SONOS that a) it's necessary and b) it will definitely fix the issue.

SONOS? The official view please?
Badge
Just received Sonos with Alexa. Accounts are linked but Alexa still asking me to use skills. There's only so many skills a girl can do! I am still only on the trial for premium Spotify so maybe that might resolve it when fully Spotyfied!
Badge
Apparently she wont play from Spotify until nearer Christmas according to other queries!
Badge
OH! Back to the drawing board!! 😠
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Can a Sonos employee please confirm if the email addresses all have to be the same for Sonos, Amazon and Spotify? If that's true that just won't work for me as my Amazon/Alexa email is a personal one (for secret present buying etc) and the Sonos is registered to a family email address.

I'm not a Sonos employee but I have three different emails for my Sonos, Alexa and Spotify accounts and have no problems with playing Spotify on the Sonos One. Problems like the ones described in this post are normally because someone has linked their Sonos account to an Amazon account but enabled the skill on another Amazon account OR has linked the correct Amazon account but has another app logged into a different Amazon account on their phone or Tablet.
Badge
No, not logged into another Amazon account on anything.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
No, not logged into another Amazon account on anything.

Did you try these earlier suggestions:

If anyone is still experiencing these problems try reseting your voice control by following the actions I've listed in the answer to this post:

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/sonos-one-not-responding-to-alexa-comands-6793239
I have a Sonos One at my home and another at my workplace. The Sonos One worked fine with Spotify at home. Then I set my office Sonos One up and it worked fine. When I got home, the Sonos One at home was no longer working.
Alexa states: "Sorry, there was a problem." I don't recall how, but after tinkering around in the apps for a long time, I got it working again. All I recall is that I had to change the "system." Upon returning to work, the Sonos One at my workplace was no longer synced with Spotify. Once again, Alexa states: "Sorry, there was a problem."

Is there a fix coming?