Answered

Cannot setup Sonos as preferred speaker in Alexa.

• 6 January 2021
  • 3 replies

I have an Ikea Symfonisk Bookshelf as stereo pair and a Symfonisk lamp.

I have set up the Alexa skill and I can ask Alexa to play on the Sonos speakers.

However, I want to define my Sonos speakers as preferred speakers for the room in Alexa.

When I want to select the Sonos speaker it always says “not compatible” the same for my Lamp in the other room.

I have removed the skill and added it again, no avail. All apps (Sonos, Alexa) and all speakers, iPhone, and Alexas up to date.

What gives?

icon

Best answer by hesspoint 11 January 2021, 21:09

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi there @hesspoint, thanks for the update. I’m glad that it’s working now. This may be a bug on the Alexa App since this all happens on their Alexa App. If you have any questions or run into any other issues, please do not hesitate to contact us. We are always happy to assist you. Thanks.

Hallo Simon,

actually I have figured it out in the mean time more by accident. However it is quite strange on Alexas part.

When I uncheck the box for the Alexa then both become available and I can select the Sonos Speaker. But once I selected the Sonos Speaker it actually says the same “not compatible” for the Alexa.

Though it works fine now I still thing that this is quite strange behavior / UX on the Alexa app part.

Not sure if you have the same experience or if there is something strange with my system.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hello there @hesspoint, Thanks for reaching out, and welcome to the community. That hurts me to hear that you're having issues with your Alexa on your Sonos speakers. let me help you with this. I’ll ask some questions to further check on this issue. 

• Do you have an echo dot or what Alexa device do you have to control the Symfonisk speakers on the Alexa App?
  • Is this the first time that you’re setting it up or was it set up already before?
  • Have you tried it on another controller if the same issue occurs when choosing your preferred speaker?
  • Did you make any changes in the settings on the Alexa or Sonos App before this issue happened?

Answers to these questions will help us check further on this issue. 

Let us know how it goes and we're here to answer any further questions you have.