Question

Can you use Alexa to play to non-standard room names?

• 9 December 2017
  • 14 replies

I have renamed my play 3 from Kitchen to Pub. If I use Alexa (Dot or Play ONE) and ask it to play music in the Pub it won't play. If I rename it to a standard name, garage, kitchen, patio, whatever it works just fine.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Try disabling the skill in amazon app and deleting all the Sonos units that show under the alexa app under devices. Then re-enable the skill and let it refind all your Sonos equipment. That should get the right names into alexa.
I've done that several times. The correct names show up in Alexa. However, when the name is not one included in the Sonos list (Pub) it won't play to it. If I change it to one that is (Garage) it works as expected.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Maybe someone else who has had success can answer come shed more laughter on as come to think of it I have had issue before with non standard names.
I have no problems playing to non-standard names, like Treadmill and Home Theater.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Thanks for confirming it works jgatie. I will say I have had similar troubles. What do you think is best to fully reset it all?

I’ll admit. I turned my alexa skill off about a month ago (I was having party and didn’t wasn’t someone activating alexa and dipping the music volume across the house) aand haven’t reactivated.
Userlevel 6
Badge +9
I can only assure you it's possible. I use non-standard room names on all my Sonos devices to avoid conflicts with SmartThings Rooms and Alexa Groups and have no problems. Assuming you don't have any of those conflicts, the advice Chris gave you is what I would have suggested as well.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes an alexa device called pub would be a problem
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Looks like to completely remove device and old name you have to do this

To deregister another type of Alexa device:

Go to amazon.com in a web browser and login.
Hover over Accounts & Lists and click Manage Your Content and Devices.
Click to open the Your Devices tab.
To the left of each device is a ...* button.
Click on this button for the device you wish to remove and click Deregsiter.
Click Deregister again to confirm.
Userlevel 6
Badge +9
You can also go to alexa.amazon.com on your PC, click on Smart Home and then Devices. Select the device you want to remove and click forget.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Thanks Master T. I will try that way. I tried the deregistee route from above (all my custom name rooms were working prior except for 2) route. I disabled skill. Did the deregiater from my link of all. Made sure all names way I want them in Sonos. Then reenabled skill and then did scan to refund them all. Still those 2 custom names rooms wouldn’t work.

Trying your forget method now.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Nope those 2 rooms still wont respond by name ... very strange. I noticed back a few months ago but never dug into.

I named all my Alexa Dots "Room" Name and the Sonos units by just the room name.

Examples I have:

Room Kitchen (an Echo Show)
Kitchen (a Play:5)
Room Bar (an Echo dot)
Bar (a Connect:Amp)
Room Katey (an Echo dot)
Katey (a Play:1)
Room Sunroom (an Echo dot)
Sunroom (a Play:1)

In this example ... all will play to the Sonos except for if I ask for "Play song on Katey". It will not respond to that.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Voice control, in general, is one of those things which takes more data to get better over time. Unusual room names are sometimes harder to hear properly because Alexa has less data on what the sound of that name should sound like. More regular names are easier for it to pick out. That said, even irregular room names should get better detection over time. You just have to use them so that Alexa continues to hear the sample and the sound of the room name.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Nope those 2 rooms still wont respond by name ... very strange. I noticed back a few months ago but never dug into.

I named all my Alexa Dots "Room" Name and the Sonos units by just the room name.

Examples I have:

Room Kitchen (an Echo Show)
Kitchen (a Play:5)
Room Bar (an Echo dot)
Bar (a Connect:Amp)
Room Katey (an Echo dot)
Katey (a Play:1)
Room Sunroom (an Echo dot)
Sunroom (a Play:1)

In this example ... all will play to the Sonos except for if I ask for "Play song on Katey". It will not respond to that.

As a naming standard I find using Room Name + Device name is the easiest to remember and an approach that I have no issues with in my set-up. e.g. Kitchen Sonos, Kitchen Echo Dot As such I don't have any device that has a 'standard name', although they do include the standard name.

As long as you haven't set-up any Routines within the Alexa app, you could try logging on to the Alexa app on your PC via https://alexa.amazon.com (Only available in the PC version of the app) and under Smart Home>Devices scroll to the bottom of the list and select 'Forget All', then 'Discover'. (Beware: If you have set-up Routines, this will clear all Actions for all Routines!)

Also, when you get the failed command to Katey, have you checked under Alexa App>Settings>History to see what Alexa thought you said?
Userlevel 3
+1 for difficulty with non standard room names. Alexa will not recognize Aimee's room. She does, though, recognize Amy's room. So my 10 year old has the frustration of her name not been spelt correctly - this is obviously a biggie when you are 10! It's interesting that Alexa seems to need the spelling correct (as she sees it) rather than using phonetics.
I do hope that at some point Sonos speakers can be included in Alexa enabled groups which would make the room name issue moot. Hopefully they are working on it?