Can Roam act as Alexa enabled device in Alexa App?

Badge

So obviously Alexa can be enabled on Roam, this question is whether the Roam can be one of the "Alexa-Enabled Devices" in a group and not just a "Device".

The difference being I can tell an Alexa-Enabled device to "turn on the lights" and the lights in the specific group associated with that Alexa-Enabled Device turn on. With the Roam, you need to specify the group as it only appears as a Device.

For info, when editing a group, both the Beam and One appear under "Alexa-Enabled Devices" whereas Roam appears under "Devices".

19 replies

Yes, I have this issue.

At the moment the Roam ‘Alexa component’ does not enable/control an Alexa Group, but this was also the case when the Sonos Move was first released and it later became ‘registered’ with Amazon and became capable of enabling a group.

I’m therefore hoping the same thing ‘might’ happen with the Roam, not least as an Alexa Group can then be used to auto-group/ungroup two or more Roams, which would be ideal for my own use-case.

I think it’s a case of waiting to see if Sonos/Amazon enable this ‘extremely useful’ feature.🤞

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

I found this same issue (Roam came in today). Also noticed it isn't allowing to change profiles between my wife and me like other Sonos devices.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

@Corry P , any idea if the Roam is treated differently and/or if these are known issues (not an ‘Alexa-enabled’ device and cannot be used in profiles) that will be addressed?

Thanks for any insight.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Talvish 

I’m going to side with @Ken_Griffiths on this one.

It’s likely that Amazon just need to update their device list. They may be doing some testing prior to this. I fully expect Roam to behave just like any other Sonos speaker with Alexa.

Userlevel 1

Same issues I have as well. This also affects the ducking capability of the group you are using it with. Looking forward to this problem being rectified. Drives me crazy when I have to yell over the music to use Alexa. 

Userlevel 1

Same issue here with both of my roams. About ready to return for refund. 

Also having this problem and it seems like a pretty essential feature.

Same problem here.

Sonos Roam doesn’t show up in Alexa as a Speaker so it cannot be added to a room.

Same problem here.

Sonos Roam doesn’t show up in Alexa as a Speaker so it cannot be added to a room.

It does show up as a speaker (just not an alexa enabled device) and it can be added to a room

Come on, I love Sonos products but this is driving me mad. I bought the Roam for our nursery and I'm getting tired of saying the room name because it can't be added to the group as the alexa enabled device.

It's been 5 months now, my Beam, Ones & Portable all work. Getting to the point where I'll take it out if the nursery and buy the funky looking echo instead.

The Beam (2nd gen) doesn’t work either sadly 

Known issue for Roam and Beam 2, Sonos are aware, no timeline for fix. Confirmed via their support today.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Any updates or anyone heard a timeline for a fix?

I am also frustrated by this and very interested in a fix.

Badge

This seems to be fixed now, together with the same issue for Beam Gen 2.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

This seems to be fixed now, together with the same issue for Beam Gen 2.

Confirmed. This issue has now been resolved.

At long last!

When it works correctly Sonos is hard to beat…

Still happening now to me 

Still happening now to me 

‘Walkabout’ is the name of the Sonos Roam here and it is working to enable/control a group as shown in the attached image of an Alexa ‘enabled’ group called Roaming…