Answered

Can I use Alexa to request Sonos Radio HD content

• 13 November 2020
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1

I’m very curious about Sonos Radio HD… I would definetly consider subscribing to it however i never ever use the app to get my music … I always use voice to request for music and this is a must have for me to subscribe… 

so my question is can i have Alexa use Sonos Radio as my music service or do  I always have to use the app ? 

icon

Best answer by ratty 15 November 2020, 20:54

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @jvigeant, thank you for reaching out to the Sonos community and for letting us know about your concern. Let me help you with this. 

Yes, you can control your Sonos system using Amazon Alexa. When you ask Alexa to play music, the song will begin playing from Alexa’s default music service unless you specify a different service in your command. You can add “in the (room name)” to the end of your commands if you want to play music in a specific room. Otherwise, the music will play on the speaker that responded to your request. You may check out the list of example commands with Alexa. If you experience issues using Alexa with Sonos, please see our troubleshooting article for additional help.

Please feel free to reach out in the future if you have any other questions. The Sonos Community is always here to help.

Why not address the original query?

Sonos Radio is not available via Alexa. It’s internal to Sonos.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @ratty, thanks for your feedback. I really appreciate that.

@jvigeant, starting playback from Sonos Radio HD using a voice assistant like Alexa isn’t available at this time. You can control basic functions through voice such as volume control, pausing music, and even asking your voice assistant what’s playing. We can certainly pass along your interest to the team as a feature request. We don't have the timeline on this but you can check our announcements when this feature becomes available. If you need help with any other information, feel free to reach out.

I was very disappointed to learn, AFTER driving to Best Buy to purchase a Sonos One for my bedroom, that I cannot use the built in Alexa to play Sonos HD Radio on my new speaker. I do NOT want to have to have a device with the SONOS app on it in the bedroom to start Sonos HD Radio… so please, SONOS, escalate this issue and add this functionality as soon as possible! This is a serious oversight on SONOS part, and it should be rectified IMMEDIATELY.

I am seriously considering canceling my Sonos radio due to this oversight.   Will it be corrected soon? Thanks