Answered

Can I hook an Amazon Echo Input to my Sonos Beam and use it for Alexa multi room music?

• 22 February 2019
  • 1 reply

I recently bought a Sonos Beam which i am really enjoying. After i bought it i realized that it could not be used with Alexa multi room music which was very disappointing. I have been trying to find out if i can use an Amazon Echo Input with my Sonos Beam and then add it to my multi room music in the Alexa app using the Input. I feel like this is just too easy of a solution and there has to be a catch. Any help is appreciated.
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 22 February 2019, 17:33

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

The Echo Input will output audio at 3.5mm audio jack or bluetooth, while the Beam takes input with HDMI-ARC or optical. So you would need a converter, and a switch if you also want the Beam to play TV audio. It's possible, but doesn't really seem like an ideal solution in my opinion.

Although more expensive, the echo link is more the product you're looking for I think. It can take in an audio signal from your TV (optical) and pass that on to the Beam through optical. It also can play alexa multiroom audio with automatic switching between the two, as I understand it.

My personal opinion though, trying to mix Sonos and echo speakers together for whole home audio is a bad idea. If you prefer the cheaper option than go with echos. If you want Sonos quality sound, then go that route. i get that some rooms may fit better with an echo or echo dot, instead of a Sonos One, so you'll be overpaying, but I think you'll regret the extra complication in the long run. Although, if you think echos are great for every room of the house but the TV room with your beam, then maybe an echo link is a great choice for you.