Answered

Can I completely disable Alexa and voice control of Sonos One?

• 11 October 2018
  • 9 replies

Badge +2
I have no interest in "smart" speakers. I just want to use Sonos as a way of streaming audio from my devices. Is it possible to completely disable Alexa and Siri voice control of the Sonos system using the Sonos app, rather than a button on the speaker? I know this is possible with the HomePod, but I've heard it's not with Sonos One.

We have a 7-year old daughter with friends that have these speakers, so she knows how they work. My concern is that she will just press the button on the speaker to turn the functionality back on if that is the only way to turn it off.
icon

Best answer by Chris 11 October 2018, 16:39

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If you do not setup Alexa in the Alexa app - The Sonos One has no Alexa ability.

To get Sonos ONe to have voice control you have to not only have the microphone on as you say. You also have to sign up and set it up in the Alexa app. If you don't setup in alexa app the microphone on/off doesn't matter - it has no alexa.

You can set it up in the Alexa app - but if you want to temporarily disable go into the Alexa app and mark it as disabled. That would be a way to turn off when you want but not be as simple as turning the microphone on/off.
Badge +2
Oh, great! What about Siri? I'm not totally clear on how Siri integration works with Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
There is no siri integration in Sonos. Sonos One will act as an Airplay 2 speaker. So you can direct sound from your phone to the Sonos One. Siri isn't really an integration - its just that with Airplay2 you could use siri on your phone to start a song and then have that song play on Sonos,,, but the microphone and siri are on the phone not on Sonos One. The microphone on Sonos One doesn't send anything to apple or siri.
Badge
You can get the Play:1 which sounds as good as the Sonos One, but has zero support for Alexa (or any voice assistants). No worries there!
Badge +2
You can get the Play:1 which sounds as good as the Sonos One, but has zero support for Alexa (or any voice assistants). No worries there!

But it doesn't support AirPlay 2, which is important to me. I want to be able to stream audio from all apps/devices and from my Mac OS.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yea I wouldn't invest in a Play:1 at this point as we know it isn't going to be able to support future improvements like the Sonos One.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I have to say though - having Alexa integration on the speaker is nice. Not that I use it a lot but having the ability to just ask for a song without picking up phone is very nice. Especially in rooms where you don't always have phone. My Sonos One is in my bathroom.
Badge

But it doesn't support AirPlay 2, which is important to me. I want to be able to stream audio from all apps/devices and from my Mac OS.

Oh if that's the case then! I'd probably get a Sonos One anyway, mostly since I'm a big Alexa user, and expecting the Google Assistant update later this year. I mean it's helpful to know the assistant is always there, in case you ever need it.
Badge +2

Oh if that's the case then! I'd probably get a Sonos One anyway, mostly since I'm a big Alexa user, and expecting the Google Assistant update later this year. I mean it's helpful to know the assistant is always there, in case you ever need it.

Yeah, good point. When our daughter gets a few years older and has better self-control, Alexa might be nice to have.