Question

[bug report] Sonos One alias/duplicate listed in Alexa app

• 3 November 2017
  • 5 replies

Badge
Just got my Sonos One (I love it, great job Sonos) and added it to my Alexa account and Spotify. Since you specify the device by room it is named both "Mike's Sonos One" and "Living Room" in the Alexa app. I think the only one that works is the Living Room designation. Wanted to identify this as a bug to Sonos devs. I've attached a screenshot

Also, Sonos devs, eagerly anticipating Spotify/Alexa support.... EAGERLY

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
This actually isn't a bug. "Mike's Sonos One" is the Alexa part of the Sonos One, while "Living Room" is the name that you have given the speaker through Sonos, and is from the Sonos skill so it can also be addressed through other Alexa devices.
Well...there is a bug involved...not sure if it is alexa's or sonos' or a shared problem. I already had a "living room" in my alexa system to control the lights. Apparently by selecting "Living Room" for my Sonos One caused a duplicate entry without "warning" and my lights no longer work, nor can I delete the Sonos from the Alexa account. Amazon says they are aware of the issue and are working to resolve it. However, in the meantime, even renaming, editing, or uninstalling the Sonos One does not restore my account to its previous state. It seems to me at the time of adding a device you should be warned that such a name is already in use.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Riddley, are you able to change the name of your Sonos One in the Sonos app and then re-discover devices? That'd be under More > Settings > Room Settings. That should separate out the named devices.
Userlevel 1
This actually isn't a bug. "Mike's Sonos One" is the Alexa part of the Sonos One, while "Living Room" is the name that you have given the speaker through Sonos, and is from the Sonos skill so it can also be addressed through other Alexa devices.

Whether it's a bug or not a bug, I would respectively say that this 'feature' is not intuitive or helpful. I too am having this problem. All my other SONOS bits of kit are recognised OK on the Aleax app, whether it's Bedroom, Living Room etc. But when I got two new Play:ONE's they are both duplicated: I have them as Study and Bathroom (which is how I recognise where they are) but the Alexa APP says 'Damian's Sonos One' and 'Damian's 2nd Sonos One'.

That's not helpful. I don't know if 'Damian's 2nd Sonos One' is the bathroom or the study!

We've been given the ability to name the devices by their location, why should the new Play:One be any different?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
In the Alexa App you can rename both names of the Sonos One, so the part that is for the Alexa settings could be something like Study One Mic, or you could change the name to include the last couple digits of the serial number, written on the bottom of the unit.

Currently, there aren't may settings available through the Alexa app, and the ones available for the "Sonos One" entry tend to need the same ones on each of them in the home.