Answered

Both Channels on a single Play1

• 3 July 2020
  • 3 replies

With only one Play1, how to get both channels, not stereo, but both channels to play.

i.e. when playing a song, from Alexa & TuneIn, which has sound from the left only then sound from the right only (like Queen’s Bohemian Rhapsody), it only plays one channel. So you hear one side, then nothing. Nice separation,but wrong on one speaker. Is this even possible, or am I going to be required to buy another speaker, which would be over doing it in my small office. I mean the sound from only one speaker is so awesome...

icon

Best answer by John B 5 July 2020, 18:34

The mono speaker should play all the sounds from both channels although clearly not with a stereo soundstage.

But it sounds like you are saying that some sounds are 'disappearing'. Is that the case?

If so it won't be anything to do with the Sonos speaker, but to the way the stereo recording has been mastered, and not optimised for mono playback.  

Is that what you are saying?

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @PCKaat, thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community.

I would like to just clarify when you mean sound from the just left and nothing from the right.

You meant certain sounds in a song that only comes from the just left channel or just the right channel.

If so, that would be a stereo system in which a single speaker can’t reproduce alone.

We can bond another Play:1 to create a stereo pair; we just go to the Sonos mobile app go to Settings > System > Play:1’s room name > Create Stereo Pair.

This will create the desired effect you wanted.

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.

The mono speaker should play all the sounds from both channels although clearly not with a stereo soundstage.

But it sounds like you are saying that some sounds are 'disappearing'. Is that the case?

If so it won't be anything to do with the Sonos speaker, but to the way the stereo recording has been mastered, and not optimised for mono playback.  

Is that what you are saying?

Thanks for the quick answers. I understand now that this is a limitation of the way the song is recorded and not with the speaker setup.